Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: table saw alignment conundrum

There's lot's going on here folks. Read very carefully what Brain has explained. He is measuring the same thing with two different measuring devices and getting two very different results. He's not measuring two different things. Puzzling to say the least.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    There's lot's going on here folks. Read very carefully what Brain has explained. He is measuring the same thing with two different measuring devices and getting two very different results. He's not measuring two different things. Puzzling to say the least.

Post #1 shows measuring to the trailing and to the leading sides of the blade.

Post #20 says: "I don't use an alignment jig, but using a dial indicator it reads to within .0005 when I rotate the blade 180 degrees"

Not puzzling at all, Doug nailed it from what I can tell in post #23
    You have to measure the same thing to compare, not front and back on one device and rotate the blade for your measurement on another device.

I don't know what a "digiliine" is and don't care what you measure it with, either the slot is parallel to the blade or it isn't. So whatever the OP is doing is what is causing the real or imagined problem. The miter fence has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    I don't know what a "digiliine" is and don't care what you measure it with, either the slot is parallel to the blade or it isn't. So whatever the OP is doing is what is causing the real or imagined problem. The miter fence has nothing to do with it.
    From the webpage listed, it's a dial indicator on a jig.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

LOL, I think Mike hit it on post #6 but what do I know. Hopefully Brian figures it out. I'd recommend sticking with one measuring stick rather than two however...

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Post #1 shows measuring to the trailing and to the leading sides of the blade.

Post #20 says: "I don't use an alignment jig, but using a dial indicator it reads to within .0005 when I rotate the blade 180 degrees"
    But, post # 1 says "Using the digalign unit the blade is parallel to the slot within .0005"

Now I'm starting to wonder if Brian used the digalign at both the front and rear of the blade like he did with the square, if not then this all makes a little more sense. It seems he might have been measuring runout with the digalign and parallelism with the square. If that's the case then much of this makes sense.

Brian, did you use the Digalign to measure from the miter slot to the blade both front ant rear like the square?

The miter fence does not, but the miter slot does...

Woodworking, and machine setup is about understanding relationships between parts.
    All of the expensive gadgets and measuring equipment are useless to you if you don't see the relationships, and if you do,, you don't need any of them anyway.
    To check the slot is parallel,
    crank the blade up.
    stick the mitre fence in the slot.
    clamp a scrap of wood to it and trim a bit off,
    run the mitre fence with the stick still clamped past the back teeth,
    If more wood is trimmed off the slot is not parallel,
    If the back teeth don't touch the wood the slot is not parallel.
    If the teeth touch the front and back just a whisper as the wood passes , the slot is parallel to within 0.005"
    I requires understanding the basic relationships, observation, listening feeling, what it doesn't require is Digiline or anything else.
    To adjust the slot to true it up, smack the table with a hammer.
    Your welcome

No offence to Brian or any of the posters on this thread , but this thread is classic example of trying to advise someone how to solve a problem without fully understanding it. As Cameron points out in post #32 some think Brian is measuring the same thing two ways and getting different results, others, including me think Brian is measuring two unrelated things and is confused when they don't agree. Speaks to the difficulty in communications when trying to describe a problem and the tendency some have to offer a solution to a problem without fully understanding it. I always try to fully understand the problem before trying to offer a solution. More often than not my first response to a question is to ask for more information to clarify it and try and understand it, not jump to a conclusion and try to solve it. Just my 2 cents worth .

I didn't answer because I was lost to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    No offence to Brian or any of the posters on this thread , but this thread is classic example of trying to advise someone how to solve a problem without fully understanding it. As Cameron points out in post #32 some think Brian is measuring the same thing two ways and getting different results, others, including me think Brian is measuring two unrelated things and is confused when they don't agree. Speaks to the difficulty in communications when trying to describe a problem and the tendency some have to offer a solution to a problem without fully understanding it. I always try to fully understand the problem before trying to offer a solution. More often than not my first response to a question is to ask for more information to clarify it and try and understand it, not jump to a conclusion and try to solve it. Just my 2 cents worth .
    You’re not wrong, and I have the same conclusions as you. That said, this forum is filled with DIY and field experts with “know how” and enough self confidence to be the proverbial Monday morning quarterbacks. Isn’t that part of forum discourse anyway?

So this morning, I started from scratch. Solving problems in my work life, was always go back to the beginning to see who did what when exercise. Not in a hunt for the guilty party, but to see where we screwed the pooch along the way.

Put the calibration disc back on, loosened all the table top bolts and used the square to get it close to parallel. Put the digital dial indicator on it, made a minor adjustment on it and everything was good. Checked it with the square, it all matched. Lowered and raised the blade, checked everything again to see if the mechanism was introducing play. Stay the same. Put the Forrest blade on. Checked it with the dial indicator. , the same. Lowered and raised the blade, stayed the same. Checked it with the dial indicator and the square, stayed the same. Cut some wood to check the cut, square.

I have no idea what was wrong or how it got that way, but what the hell maybe this was the universe pushing me to get a new saw! I feel better about selling it or gifting it now.

Thanks for all suggestions. Brian
    Brian

Glad you got it sorted out Brian!

Congratulations Brian!! Now...when you get ready to sell that saw, make sure you post it on here...i may be interested.