Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vcarve Flat Depth

Vcarve Flat Depth

I dont use the cnc as much as I originally planned and Im having an issue with a sign im working on. I layed out a tree/family name/hook locations to hang laser engraved key chains. I created a tool path to mark the 30 holes for hooks which worked well. Then I layed out the vcarve with a 45 degree insert bit with a .1" flat depth and a 1/8" down cut for clearance. This cut about .25" deep and the leaves of the tree overlapped a leaf that was 1/4" ended up being 3/8 or more. I retried this with a 90 degree vbit and got a deeper carve. The previews all show perfect carves.

What should I be doing different

What CAM/CAD software are you using? What is your CNC machine" What post processor are you using?

Let's start from there.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

You may want to try asking this question on the Vectric forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    What CAM/CAD software are you using? What is your CNC machine" What post processor are you using?

Let's start from there.
    Vectric Vcarve pro, Onefinity

Quote Originally Posted by vince mastrosimone View Post
    That will be my second stop. I like it here better.

Quote Originally Posted by vince mastrosimone View Post
    This is my suggestion as well, though I too like it much better here. More practical application and what not.

George, what you say sounds correct so just to clarify you're setting the Flat Depth to 0.1 and the start depth is 0 and you're zero is the material surface or the machine bed? A flat depth should prevent the tool from going any deeper than that depth. Generally speaking, the use of a clearance tool is used to carve away the middle and the v-bit is used to perform the v-carve.

Maybe you can show a screenshot of your tool path?

If it's not honoring the flat depth, the first step I would do is delete the toolpath and recreate it. This eliminates any glitch that might have snuck into the code Be sure you include any clearing tool(s) in the same toolpath...it will actually create multiple toolpaths in that case and you generally run the clearing tool(s) first and the v-bit last. If the clearing tool is the one cutting deep, be sure you are careful with measuring the tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sorry, George, I don't quite understand what you are trying to do. Generally, if you want to cut something like a tree with branches and leaves, you would use an endmill as a clearance tool, prior to the V-bit which would only cut around the perimeter to give you whatever bevel your bit has. Both bits are added to the V-Carve toolpath.

For milling names using the V-Carve command, the DOC is controlled by the width of the vectors that make up the font and the angle of the bit. If the size of the font is really large, you can again use a clearance tool to waste away the flat area. If the vectors are close together the bit won't reach the flat depth you input.

Adding a start depth shouldn't change anything other than putting the V-Carve that much lower in the workpiece.

In no case should the carved area go beyond those defined by the vectors. If your simulation looked good but the actual carving came out wrong, then I would suspect you chucked a different bit than specified in the toolpath.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    This is my suggestion as well, though I too like it much better here. More practical application and what not.

George, what you say sounds correct so just to clarify you're setting the Flat Depth to 0.1 and the start depth is 0 and you're zero is the material surface or the machine bed? A flat depth should prevent the tool from going any deeper than that depth. Generally speaking, the use of a clearance tool is used to carve away the middle and the v-bit is used to perform the v-carve.

Maybe you can show a screenshot of your tool path?
    0 is my start and project surface is my 0. I will screenshot tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If it's not honoring the flat depth, the first step I would do is delete the toolpath and recreate it. This eliminates any glitch that might have snuck into the code Be sure you include any clearing tool(s) in the same toolpath...it will actually create multiple toolpaths in that case and you generally run the clearing tool(s) first and the v-bit last. If the clearing tool is the one cutting deep, be sure you are careful with measuring the tool.
    I will delete and try again and this time practice on MDF. I did use the clearance function on the vcarve path and it gave me a "v-carve 1 (clearance)" name for an additional path. The clearance path appeared to go smoothly but I didnt stop to measure it

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I will delete and try again and this time practice on MDF. I did use the clearance function on the vcarve path and it gave me a "v-carve 1 (clearance)" name for an additional path. The clearance path appeared to go smoothly but I didnt stop to measure it
    Ok, make sure you re-zero with the v-bit again after you change out the clearance tool. I know, it sounds obvious, but we've all done it LOL. If that doesn't work, then maybe we can review the actual tool library setting for that particular bit.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post

In no case should the carved area go beyond those defined by the vectors. If your simulation looked good but the actual carving came out wrong, then I would suspect you chucked a different bit than specified in the toolpath.

John
    I confirmed after the fact in both cases the bits were correct

Ok, make sure you re-zero with the v-bit again after you change out the clearance tool. I know, it sounds obvious, but we've all done it LOL. If that doesn't work, then maybe we can review the actual tool library setting for that particular bit.
    I suspect there wouldnt be anything in the tool library that could make the bit(even if its the wrong one) dive deeper then what the flat depth is set. Assuming z is set

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I suspect there wouldnt be anything in the tool library that could make the bit(even if its the wrong one) dive deeper then what the flat depth is set. Assuming z is set
    At least confirm it is defined as a v-bit with 2 required measurements, not a form tool or engraving bit. This specific issue has come up in the Vectric forums before.

At least confirm it is defined as a v-bit with 2 required measurements, not a form tool or engraving bit. This specific issue has come up in the Vectric forums before.
    Will do. I am using the Amana catalog