Thread: Carpentry stools

Carpentry stools

I made these in 1979 based on something I saw driving past a worksite. They still work well, 'tho worn almost an inch shorter from being dragged around on concrete.

A few years ago someone gave me scraps of nice plywood so I made more, thinking I would sell them, but they got put to use instead. The picture shows the four standing heights possible. A hammer claw easily picks one up without bending. They get used a lot during moves of heavy things to get a partial lift.

Anyway, out for a walk I saw this at the site of a nice fence being built. Probably 20" tall, which is a pretty huge step up- mine are 16".

IMG_3389.jpgIMG_4635.jpg

should be a rectangular box then you have three heights

The last carpenter I knew that used those was77 years old in 1977. Easy to remember.

My workmate calls them "fun boxes". Rectangular for versatility as Warren said.

I like these better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-04-2023 at 8:20 AM.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    We called them 'lunch benches' when I worked with a large crew, seems everyone had one of different styles and sizes

16" x 24" top, 18" tall, rubber pads on the feet for use indoors, tool tray underneath. This one is about 17-18 yrs oldlunch bench 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    We called them 'lunch benches' when I worked with a large crew, seems everyone had one of different styles and sizes

16" x 24" top, 18" tall, rubber pads on the feet for use indoors, tool tray underneath. This one is about 17-18 yrs oldlunch bench 2.jpg

I made one like that, but had to cut the overhanging ends off because I kept tipping the stool by standing there.

I like the handle hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post

This is the type I grew up with, we called them "tote benches". I've been planning on making a few, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I like these better.
    Tom
    what make and model are those, PLEASE.
    Ron

Reechcraft Bronco

I’m on phone or would include link. They’re fairly lightweight but very stiff and sturdy. Don’t shake at all.

I have one if those carpenters benches somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Reechcraft Bronco

I’m on phone or would include link. They’re fairly lightweight but very stiff and sturdy. Don’t shake at all.

I have one if those carpenters benches somewhere.
    Found the web site along with various places to buy at. Definitely a nice tool if you have a need for it. $260-$300 each
    Thanks
    Ron

Not cheap but well worth it to me. I don’t work off ladders. They’re very well made. A little aggravating to set up because there are no clearances, but not bad at all, especially after you have used them once and know what’s coming.

I no longer am allowed on ladders. If I had to build new porches again, I definitely would buy a set first.

Here they are stored with my step and platform ladders, to the left on their sides. I do work off platform ladders, but only go up or down on regular ladders.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I made one like that, but had to cut the overhanging ends off because I kept tipping the stool by standing there.

I like the handle hole.
    The picture doesnt show it, but the legs are splayed at the bottom so the overhang of the top isnt enough to be able to tip it.