Thread: Dust collection bolted to mitre slots or T tracks

Dust collection bolted to mitre slots or T tracks

I have this design and I am looking for feedback or improvement ideas. Lee Valley has a similar chute that uses magnets, which I have, but my hose is always pulling it out of position. Even had one time the hose pulled the chute right into the blade guard, if no blade guard it would be have been ugly.

So I came up with these designs that can be clamped down using the mitre track. It works really well with the shop vac, or if I run another hose from the dust collector. Also working really well on my router table. Would love to hear feedback from those of you who like to get into the technical details of airflow patterns. Or any other thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-03-2023 at 3:29 PM. Reason: removed link to personal for profit website

I think it’s a cool idea. I made one using a magswitch block and a camera claw clamp I had lying around but it is a bit more bulky.

I’d recommend making the base/wings thicker for better durability and I’d order one. I would like a version that would work with my 36mm Festool hose as that is typically what I use when the blade guard attachment is used.

Interesting ideas and very useful. Besides the slot, using with a magnet or Magswitch would be useful.

Are you going to sell the part or 3d print plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I think it’s a cool idea. I made one using a magswitch block and a camera claw clamp I had lying around but it is a bit more bulky.

I’d recommend making the base/wings thicker for better durability and I’d order one. I would like a version that would work with my 36mm Festool hose as that is typically what I use when the blade guard attachment is used.
    Thicker as in wider or taller? I can make up one that works with the Festool hose. I don't have one, can you give me the Outside Diameter of the end? In millimeters to 1 decimal if you can. It would also be helpful to get the I.D. of your blade guard. Which of the styles do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Interesting ideas and very useful. Besides the slot, using with a magnet or Magswitch would be useful.

Are you going to sell the part or 3d print plans.
    Good idea thanks. I can play with a magswitch design, an excuse to buy one Just a standard magnet would be to close to the lee valley chute, which they have a patent for.

I am still trying to decide on parts vs an STL.

Quote Originally Posted by brad fournier View Post
    Thicker as in wider or taller? I can make up one that works with the Festool hose. I don't have one, can you give me the Outside Diameter of the end? In millimeters to 1 decimal if you can. It would also be helpful to get the I.D. of your blade guard. Which of the styles do you like?
    For the Festool hose you should mimic the hose attachement on the SawStop blade guard. It perfectly accepts a Festool 36mm hose over it. I thought the featherboard size/design with and without feathers was great. I’d probably order 2.5” and one for my Festool hose. As far as thicker, it’s mainly the tabs that hold it to the miter slot. Some hoses are pretty stiff, so you want a solid hold that won’t break over time. Glad to see it comes in black,
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 12-04-2023 at 12:33 AM.

Sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to put in an Etsy link, so it was removed. You can search up Fournier Woodcraft if your interested. But I'm mainly looking for more feedback on the design. Good insights so far, thankyou

How does this work catching the spray that come off the top of the blade?
    That seems to be where I get the most airborne dust.