Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: heated vests- battery powered

I started out with Milwaukee M12 because I wanted a cordless bandsaw and the Milwaukee kit with battery was cheaper than the Makita LXT bandsaw. I ended up buying the M12 Screwdriver that came with a battery and another free battery. I then bought the M12 Hatchet chainsaw that came with a battery for less money than the bare tool. (Northern Tool was clearing out the Hatchet with battery cheap.) I have gone full into M12. I bought the Surge impact plus the Pex expansion tool and the PVC cutter.

I bet a worn out battery will work okay for a vest with such a low draw. Watch ebay and craigs list for tool only deals.
    BilL D

Wow. I was thinking about a 12 volt plug in vest for use in my car. that little car, a mirage, heater is about worthless when temps drop to zero. and I thought I could also wear it into the fall on the cycle. I remember when electric socks first came out and hunters would go through 3 sets of 9 volt batteries in a day. Will have to look at these.

three years ago during a cold spell, I put an old Jone pocket warmer in a sock, pinned to the inside back of my barn coat. kept me warm, but when daughter saw it. "You walk around with a fire in a sock inside your coat? Sounded odd even to me.

Rather then the heated vest I think a heated seat pad would be easier to deal with all the plugging in.
    Volvo has tried heated seats, steering wheel, shift knob, etc.
    Bill D

In 1969 when I came to Australia from NZ I found the weather colder than the (so called) experts had told me. Luckily the general store at Newdegate, about 70 miles from the farm I was working on, was selling plug in electric jackets. This had a cord came out of the pocket and plugged into the lighter socket in the tractor. It had two heat pads on the front and one on the back and no thermostatic control, it was either on or off. A few days after I bought it I forgot to unplug it before alighting from the tractor and tore the cord out of the pocket. I was told some years later that you could get burned if you plugged into a 24v system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Rather then the heated vest I think a heated seat pad would be easier to deal with all the plugging in.
    Bill D
    One of my favorite things about our new KIA Sportage is the heated steering wheel. We also have heated front seats but very often by just heating the steering wheel, I don't feel any need to heat the seats or the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    Bill, I have not had a vehicle in a decade and a half or more that did not have heated seats and a heated wheel. None of them were Volvos. These are common features on vehicles these days with the heated seats the most ubiquitous and heated wheels getting more common and available. I even use that feature in the summer on long drives as it soothes my fingers and sore hand joints.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    One of my favorite things about our new KIA Sportage is the heated steering wheel. We also have heated front seats but very often by just heating the steering wheel, I don't feel any need to heat the seats or the cabin.
    Agreed!! My Ford Flex has heated seats, but not steering wheel. Wife's Cherokee has both. Since i'm normally wearing a coat in cold weather, the heated seats take a little time to work through the layers, but the heated steering wheel is almost instant feeling even through gloves (which i rarely wear in the car). Whatever else we do on the next car trade, heated steering wheel is a requirement!!