Thread: Book review- Mark Ellison

Book review- Mark Ellison

I just finished reading Building: A Carpenter's notes on Life & the Art of Good Work. The author has had a long career overseeing upscale residential building projects in NYC and brings a lot to the table, including laugh out loud fiascos and a polymathic perspective on the trades in general. As a cabinetmaker involved in similar ventures in the hinterlands I often thought the process would make a good reality tv show, and Ellison writes a good screenplay. Check it out.
    https://www.amazon.com/Building-Carp.../dp/0593449126
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...the-impossible

Blog Entries
    I will add that to my list. Thanks.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    I went on line to request the book via I.L.L., only to find out it was available right down the street and around the corner at our own Library. I am a few pages in, The content is on the heavy side so far. A quote from the prologue, "people are capable of doing a lot more of what they want with their lives than they are led to believe".
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Mr Ellison's self appraisal appears to be very honest, even to the point embarrassment, which is refreshing. His insight on Minimalism is insightful. I wish there were pictures in the book. I guess plenty are available on the web.
    Best Regards, Maurice

The New Yorker article was a treat. Thanks for sharing that. I'll look for the book. If there were a reality tv show, I'd check that out, too.

Peter

Blog Entries
    Wow! This gentleman worked for some very wealthy folks. I did a little remolding & renovation in NYC. The jobs were for a benevolent organization seeking to help the poorest of the poor. I learned a lot. No Romex allowed in the city was an early lesson, as was never leave the work van un-attended if tools are inside.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    I finished the book and am trying to ruminate on the positive aspects of the content. I am struggling to stay positive because of the wastefulness of the very wealthy. David Bowie's kindness to Mr. Ellison was a highlight.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I just finished reading Building: A Carpenter's notes on Life & the Art of Good Work.
    Is the other Ellison book ( How to Build Impossible Thngs: Lessons in Life and Carpentry) have different content or is it the same stuff with a different title?

Appears to be the same book.

Blog Entries
    Building (the one I read) May 16, 2023 | ISBN 9780593449127

How To Build Impossible Things May 18 2023 ISBN 978-1529151633

Confusing,

Best Regards, Maurice