Thread: What Woodworking Symposium?

What Woodworking Symposium?

I would like to attend a woodworking symposium next year. The AAW event in Portland, OR and SWAT in Waco, TX look promising. Are there others not specializing in woodturning? I've never been to one of these types of events before.

I'm confused, what kind of symposium do you really want to attend. The turning symposiums have little to nothing to do with woodworking, just the thing they turn is wood and that is all they have in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I'm confused, what kind of symposium do you really want to attend. The turning symposiums have little to nothing to do with woodworking, just the thing they turn is wood and that is all they have in common.
    I mentioned two forums, which obviously specialize in turning but asked if there were "others not specializing in woodturning". Ideally I would like to attend an event that had a sampling of many types of woodworking. I spend a good amount of my shop time on lathes but also work on flat work. I enjoy doing both. What symposiums or woodworking events do you recommend?

Wow, the SWAT expo! That’s a blast from the past. We (Minimax USA) did one of their events in the mid-2000’s. It was located in Wichita Falls, TX at the time. Fun show and sawed up a lot blanks and burls for fellow vendors. One gentleman had a giant lathe that was mounted to a trailer that he towed in with his truck. Have no idea how it is these days but hope you enjoy it, OP.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I just found out about a real interesting event called Handworks last held in Amana, Iowa. I don't see any plans for a repeat in 2024 though.

There's a nice, relatively small, general woodworking show associated with Totally Turning in Saratoga Springs NY in the spring. Not so good if what you want is a woodworking trade show (the turning trade show is pretty good), but some decent seminars and a really good gallery of work. I go for the turning, but I'd do the 3-1/2 hour drive from Boston for the other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I just found out about a real interesting event called Handworks last held in Amana, Iowa. I don't see any plans for a repeat in 2024 though.
    Handworks has been an every other year event, except for the covid years and is held at the Amana colonies in Iowa. There was one this year so if there's a next one, which is not guaranteed, will be in 2025. For hand tool woodworking you can't find a better event. Any handtool vendor you'd want to see is probably there along with demonstrations by top level woodworkers.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski