Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blast gates for 6" sewer pipe

Question Blast gates for 6" sewer pipe

Hi all - can anyone recommend a blast gate that fits 6 inch sewer pipe well (D2729)? Ideally I'd like to not reduce the 6" ID too much.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by James Green; 12-02-2023 at 9:54 AM.

Thanks - anyone know if they're any good? I don't see a lock nut thing to hold the slide in place...

I've got the self cleaning lee valley ones. A bit of heat, and a band clamp tightens the pvc around them nicely. So that's two options.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I like these but they don't go straight to a sewer pipe, you need to get a rubber pipe connector from the hardware store to make the transition.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=03J6126

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Bade View Post
    I like these but they don't go straight to a sewer pipe, you need to get a rubber pipe connector from the hardware store to make the transition.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=03J6126
    You don't. Heat the pvc, toss a clamp around it and tighten. Just needs a heat gun, for both the 6" and 4". From there, I just hit them with a thin bead of silicon and used rivets for assembly.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I have several of the Clearvue gates - both 6" singles and the double 4" boxes and I like them a lot. If you install them so the gate slides mostly side to side (as opposed to up and down) then I see no need for a locking nut.
    Still waters run deep.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I have several of the Clearvue ones that are about 20 years old ... they are all cracking & coming apart.

DIY rocking blast gates My NEW Unique Blast Gates (sawmillcreek.org)

They can't clog

Can be mounted high out of reach and controlled via drop cords

Can be placed anywhere and controlled through cords and pulleys

Minimal cost

Can be motorised very easily

Can be sized to any pipe size as needed.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Clearvue is scheisse. Not only do they not hold up (just after 3 years) but they clog in the slidey part too easily and you have to undo the hose, bend a wire (I used a bicycle spoke) to clean it out.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I looked all the gates I could buy and ended up making my own. It is a great woodworking project. I am considering making new ones based on the ones shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    Clearvue is scheisse. Not only do they not hold up (just after 3 years) but they clog in the slidey part too easily and you have to undo the hose, bend a wire (I used a bicycle spoke) to clean it out.
    I have some over 10 years old and no problems so far and no clogging at all. I also sold at least a few hundred of them with nil complaints but like anything you generally only hear about the ones that give problems. The rocking gate simply works, can't clog and can be controlled remotely if that is required and the entry and exit holes can be sized to suit the pipe being used without extra couplings though I used floor entries for PVC.
    Chris

I made my own 6" blast gates. The connections are 6" couplers cut in half. The gate part is 1/8" hardboard, smooth on both sides. I'd like to have 1/4" but any 1/4" I found was smooth one side rough on the other. When I assembled them I put one layer of blue painter's tape on the sliding portion. Remove the tape once the glue has set. They slide freely but are pretty snug. I thought I'd need to figure a way to hold them in position but nope, they stay where I put them so far. With wear they may not stay put, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

+1 on the ClearVue 6" gates. We have a dozen of them in our community woodworking shop over the past four years and they've worked just fine. Only problem we've had is one gate that tends to slide half-way closed from time to time and we have to keep an eye on it -- just haven't taken time to pull it off and add a bit of friction to the slide. Great fit on D2729 pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Paul View Post
    +1 on the ClearVue 6" gates. We have a dozen of them in our community woodworking shop over the past four years and they've worked just fine. Only problem we've had is one gate that tends to slide half-way closed from time to time and we have to keep an eye on it -- just haven't taken time to pull it off and add a bit of friction to the slide. Great fit on D2729 pipe.
    Make sure the corner vents are open, they are there to keep the corners free of saw dust build up. I only use them in a few select places now as all and all my others are rocking gates driven by the automatic system I helped develop using linear actuators.
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 12-06-2023 at 5:21 PM.
    Chris