Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
Looks like your having a little fun even with the cold temps.

jtk
Yes I am. I was stroking the inside faces of my sawtill this morning (one word in old thread title here), and I asked my self "how did the ancient ones do this with limited technology?" Well, I am the old guy and I got a satisfactory surface on face grain of beech with 4k diamond as my finest stone. I checked my journal of mistakes (as well as the old thread) but it has to be cabinet scrapers. Scrapers are the tool I had then that are dull today, so I am chasing that one down.

FWIW I did have the mechanic's vise and my sharpening station on my metal working bench before. But I use the bench grinder more than the vise, and there wasn't (sad face) enough room on that bench top for all three. Someday I will have a big enough sharpening station for all three of those and my 1x42 belt sander, but today is not the day.

I wasn't happy with the end grain of the through dovetails on the sawtill project - so I painted the outside of the case. Now I like my end grain, so I am pretty sure I need to get my card scrapers back in order to be happy with face grain on beech.

I'll plan to check in again sometime Thursday afternoon.