Thread: Drying cabinet with smart heater

Drying cabinet with smart heater

re-posted from finishing forum

Drying cabinet with smart heater

I currently bring my small products upstairs to a heated utility room with ventilation. But recently climbing stairs without holding onto the railings is very risky and somewhat painful (78). Everything is finished with a coat of dark walnut danish oil and 2 coats of Arm-R-Seal. Pushing the drying time of the danish oil with heat is important for my business. Amazon has taught consumers that 1 or 2 day free shipping is an unalienable right!

I do not have room for a dedicated finishing room in the shop. I want to build a small rolling cabinet with furring strips and plastic sheeting. Then stick a smart space heater that is controlled by my wifi lan. I am not sure about the ventilation. Intake filter at the bottom and exhaust filter or fan at the top? I want to keep the air moving but not too much.

Please let me know your thoughts or experience with a heated finishing cabinet. Thanks-Gordon
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

I've always used a dehumidifier for drying finishes rather than a space heater.

They make electrically heated mats for starting seeds and keeping reptiles warm. Simple digital controller with remote probe. One thermostat can control several heating mats or golden rod type heaters. Just watch the combined wattage.
    Bill D.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-W...-8863335?psc=1

IMG_0156.jpg IMG_0158.jpg

The metal cabinet was high quality for $130 and the fan and heater $21 respectively.

No more giving swambo a hard time when she roots around in the basement or plays ball with the dogs with wet varnish below. And me moving stuff upstairs without falling down and ending up in the emergency room.

Good times!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gordon Stump; 12-25-2023 at 3:42 AM.

This quick turn-around of finishing reminds me of a post years ago from a lady woodturner. She turned and finished her bowls, packed them carefully, IIRC cushioned with colored tissue paper. Unfortunately, when the package arrived, the finish had been blotchy-tinted from the colored paper.
    Do you tell the customers the finish is dry but not well-cured for a few weeks?

Thank you for your concern and Merry Christmas.
    Last edited by Gordon Stump; 12-25-2023 at 3:43 AM.

$130 for the metal cabinet? I would have picked up a dead refrigerator from the side of the road and drilled a hole through the back for a cord. many have a circulating fan inside.
    BilL D