Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tools that are junk, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Where do you keep your junk?

My wife hates the junk drawer in the kitchen. She prefers the junk on the counter because "Messy drawers drive me crazy"
    Landfill
    If it's junk, why would I want to have a special drawer to keep it in?

Of course, everyone has there definition of what junk is.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Landfill

I’m right there with you Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Landfill

Call it a catch-all/miscellaneous/odds-and-ends drawer.

Mine has a scissors , box cutter, Screwdriver with interchangeable bits, set of pliers, a few pens and markers, some clothespins (for holding bags of chips shut), small mag light (the one that takes 2 AAs), 6 foot tape.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Top quality company ELU.

I dont see that tool though the lamello does that anyway. Id never be without a lamello machine.

Thread drift, but I use my Lamello Classic X quite a bit and would *not* want to be without it.
    Still waters run deep.

If I ever put my junk on the kitchen counter, my wife would beat me with a hammer - claw, rip or ball peen... - not that I even can put my junk there...

Anyhow - there are some quality multi-bit drivers. I had one from Compaq computer -before they merged with HP and one from Snap-on tools.
    Both were outstanding. The bits never pulled out and got left. The one Snap-on bit that did break on me when I tried to pry something was replaced free of charge.

I had a steel rod contour gauge also that was top shelf and a plastic piece of junk that wasn't.

My 5" DeWalt and 6" Ridgid ROSs work very well. Maybe to lower quality ones don't.

Yeah - I have the Porter Cable biscuit because of Norm. I paid too much for it to throw it away. I use it every so often.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I wonder what OP would use instead of a contour gauge to record the profiles of my 1850 house's molding for replication. It also doubles as a great pry bar .

I’ve been remodeling my garage over the last month. Framing new shelves, new solid wood workbench, etc. Two of the tools I’ve used the most are Harbor Freight squeeze clamps and my Craftsman ROS. Agree with others: Original post borderline trolling.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Thread drift, but I use my Lamello Classic X quite a bit and would *not* want to be without it.
    More thread drift. Lamello Top 21 here and I've lost track of the number of problems it's helped me solve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stelts View Post
    I wonder what OP would use instead of a contour gauge to record the profiles of my 1850 house's molding for replication. It also doubles as a great pry bar .

Make a clean cut and trace the outline onto paper, but a scriber also works OK if it is in place. Something that old usually has a lot of paint build up and has to be stripped to get an accurate profile.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    ......... Agree with others: Original post borderline trolling.

Erik
    Yep, have to agree .
    OP has a bad time with tools, period. Should probably take up golf instead

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    Yep, have to agree .
    OP has a bad time with tools, period. Should probably take up golf instead
    Based on my past experience at trying to golf...all golf clubs are junk!!

My two cents..... I own a lot of four way screwdrivers. One in the kitchen junk drawer. (Yup. Got one of those too) One in the tool caddie in the basement. (Yes I'm lazy so I have tools on each floor and in the garage and in my workshop) One in each car. One on the boat and one in my go bag of misc. tools when a neighbor asks "can you come looks at something for me". Used the kitchen one about 45 minutes ago AAMOF. Get good ones. Klein, Craftsman, etc. Even the Home Depot models are good. Not a fan of the Harbor Freight versions.

Irwin Quick-clamps? Love them. Not the power of bar clamps but great for exactly what they were designed for.

A 4 in 1 screwdriver is for tossing in the glove box or RV just in case. I have never considered them a shop tool.

have one of the lee valley multiple tip screwdrivers in each tool belt at the back. Saved me lots of time past. It also has a metal cutting blade in it and a wood cutting blade besides the screw driver tips.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-18-2023 at 8:46 AM.