Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tools that are junk, IMO

I have a Craftsman screwdriver with those interchangeable bits (is that a 4-in-1 screwdriver?)
    My Mother gave it to me at Christmas ("stocking-stuffer") the year I bought my house (1983...so this was a US made Craftsman tool, FWIW) .
    I still have it, still use it. It lives in the "junk drawer" in the kitchen.

I use the small Irwin quick clamps as a third hand, and for lightweight clamping. I also have the tiny ones when gluing miniatures of anything.

I have all three aviation snips. I use the straight cut ones the most, for cutting hardware cloth and chicken wire.

Pocket screws... have used them all in the shop furniture I have built, and will continue to use them, at least for those builds (more of which are on the horizon).
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.

I'm just waiting for one of these "tool" comments:

• Metric system - Merica don't need it, impossible to make fine furniture with this system

Or

• Imperial system - 3rd grade math is hard, impossible to make fine furniture with this system

I think a lot of us are forgetting that typically the dumbest tool in the shop is you.

P.S. please stop using screwdrivers as pry-bars... My old man would have taken me out to the wood shed for doing something like that...sheesh.

I bought this set of screwdrivers on impulse, specifically for use as prybars, eetc. For $7.99, I'm not complaining.

https://www.harborfreight.com/demoli...ece-64859.html

eh, I grew up with metric and use 'imperial' without issue. From an engineering perspective, the biggest problem is when people insist on trying to convert.

Then again, measurement just induces error anyway.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    eh, I grew up with metric and use 'imperial' without issue. From an engineering perspective, the biggest problem is when people insist on trying to convert.

Then again, measurement just induces error anyway.
    It was a bit tongue-and-cheek but yea, most of my projects end up being relative dimensioning measurements anyway.

I don't remember ever owning a 4 in 1 screwdriver, but do have a 10 in 1 in the house tool drawer.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/m...s-slotted-bits

I swing a curved claw hammer, 12 through 20 oz Stanley 100 Plus model with a wood haft ( no longer made) and have for 40 years.
    I've been swinging a 16 oz. Bluegrass for a long time - it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    I bought this set of screwdrivers on impulse, specifically for use as prybars, eetc. For $7.99, I'm not complaining.

https://www.harborfreight.com/demoli...ece-64859.html
    Perhaps this would be a better choice ?

https://www.harborfreight.com/pry-ba...ece-58388.html

-or-

one of these :

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=pry%20bars

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I've always had an issue with that statement. When I was young, the only mechanic's tools I had access to were cheap, Taiwan tools. The sockets didn't fit well and tended to strip bolts. Then the sockets would completely split. I never had access to a torque wrench, although I really needed one. Sorry, I just don't agree. No craftsman can adequately practice his trade with lousy tools.

Same with woodworking tools. Try to make clean, accurate cuts with dull blades or cheap, low-quality blades. Or try to produce quality work when you simply don't have access to the right tools. Reminds me of when I was in the Navy and we were expected to get everything hospital-grade clean with no cleaning supplies whatsoever. Only so much you can do with underwear and old uniforms.

We'll just have to disagree then.

I understand your perspective though, I just have little tolerance for using that as an excuse / crutch ( blame). At the end of the day YOU are responsible for YOUR safety and performance. Acquire, beg, borrow another tool ; take more time or alter your process to achieve the results your after, refuse the job...................but do not blame your outcome on the tooling !

Utoob and furniture outlets are full of videos of woodworkers from third world hovels making satisfactory things without the latest laser sharp Forrest blades, Wiha screwdrivers, or the finest handmade Japanese chisels........................all with safety practices that would make you cringe.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 11-30-2023 at 7:38 PM.

I have to assume you wrote that because you were bored and wanted start a long thread on Sawmill Creek. Nothing else about it makes sense to me.

I don't have an actual 4 in 1 screwdriver, but I do have a high quality handle with a hex socket head that holds standard bits. I like it.

Quick grip clamps: Just. Plain. Useful. I don't often use them as the sole clamp for a glue up, but holding things together while I dry fit, or get the real glue up set up, they are indispensable. Also use them frequently to create a temporary stop block to hold "real" clamps when doing angled glueups. Beats hell out of gluing on and having to remove a stop block, when they fit. I use them all the time to clamp things on the drill press table - pretty sure mine have saved me quite a bit of flesh in that role over the years. I've got half a dozen or so, all fairly old, and all still work just fine. I also have a bunch of the micro version, about 5" long, which are, from a quality point of view, junk, but I still use them for tiny glue ups.

ROS: Wouldn't be without it. I've never had a single disc spin off mine.

etc. etc.

I find prybars do a terrible job as a screwdriver, especially on Robertson or Phillips screws. Quick grip clamps do work as binder clips until you try to put the clamped files in a file cabinet, then they suck. ROS make terrible hammers, not enough swing weight, they're even worse as boat anchors and afterward they don't work at all as sanders.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    ROS? I sanded my entire cedar house siding 2 or 3 times with my Bosch (hook and loop) with no trouble until a wire burned off a motor brush. Immediately bought another to do the job this summer.
    Pocket screws? Maybe not in the class of elegant joinery but they do work and are comparatively quick and easy. They aren't a new invention; have been used for years in furniture fastening such as table tops, braces and chairs.
    No real argument against the wisdom of buying quality tools but I temper it with - how much use do I expect to need from the tool. I needed to drill about 8 holes in concrete and didn't see the need for doing more. No way I wanted to spend for a quality one so I bought a Chinese $25 cheapie. Drilled my 8 holes. Lent it to a couple of friends who have drilled who knows how many holes, drilled some unexpected ones for myself and a neighbor across the street. Still works fine!

Yeah, add Bosch tools to the list. Probably a 25% success/satisfaction rate from many of their tools over many years. By far the worst of the various brands.

Also cabinetmaker's screwdrivers. Have tried to like them and failed- pretty but they just don't work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I have to assume you wrote that because you were bored and wanted start a long thread on Sawmill Creek. Nothing else about it makes sense to me.

I don't have an actual 4 in 1 screwdriver, but I do have a high quality handle with a hex socket head that holds standard bits. I like it.

Quick grip clamps: Just. Plain. Useful. I don't often use them as the sole clamp for a glue up, but holding things together while I dry fit, or get the real glue up set up, they are indispensable. Also use them frequently to create a temporary stop block to hold "real" clamps when doing angled glueups. Beats hell out of gluing on and having to remove a stop block, when they fit. I use them all the time to clamp things on the drill press table - pretty sure mine have saved me quite a bit of flesh in that role over the years. I've got half a dozen or so, all fairly old, and all still work just fine. I also have a bunch of the micro version, about 5" long, which are, from a quality point of view, junk, but I still use them for tiny glue ups.

ROS: Wouldn't be without it. I've never had a single disc spin off mine.

etc. etc.
    Well said Steve. A post like this skirts around the edge as a troll style post. But he'll have reading for days as all the comments will roll in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Can these pry bars also function as screwdrivers?

There's something to be said about versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Well said Steve. A post like this skirts around the edge as a troll style post. But he'll have reading for days as all the comments will roll in.
    A combination of feeling grumpy, and contributing to our mutual entertainment. You come here looking for something to read and think about, right?