Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chasing my tail on a long edge joint

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    It's hard to tell but are the boards surfaced both sides to the same thickness
    No, they aren’t and there are varying degrees of bow.

I was working on this 58" walnut table top until another "urgent" project popped up. As i was working on each joint i'd rub chalk along the edges, stand them up as you are, and rub the 2 pieces left to right a couple inches. This shows where the high spots are. Not sure if that would help 20231128_162311.jpg
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    I was working on this 58" walnut table top until another "urgent" project popped up. As i was working on each joint i'd rub chalk along the edges, stand them up as you are, and rub the 2 pieces left to right a couple inches. This shows where the high spots are. Not sure if that would help 20231128_162311.jpg
    I’ll try that.

Do you mean a small gap in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Do you mean a small gap in the middle?
    No, it doesn’t seem to join anywhere. I know there must be a high spot somewhere but I can’t find it. There is light all the way around and both sides.

When you mount one board on top of the other, carefully, you can try to pivot the top board. It will pivot around the high point. Push the top board side to side from each end.

It is when the board doesn't pivot or pivots around the other end when you have a good match.

There's a video. Let me find it.

No dice, all the videos in the channel I had in mind have been taken down. I can make a quick one later if you want. I don't have 7' boards, your project is more difficult.

I know what you mean. I may have to try that when I have two helpers. I can’t manage that in my own and I’m doubtful that I could do one end.

If the faces of the boards are not flat it will be almost impossible to get a good fit whether by hand or powered jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by George Waldner View Post
    If the faces of the boards are not flat it will be almost impossible to get a good fit whether by hand or powered jointer.
    No. I’ve managed 5 other joints in this top so far.

Quote Originally Posted by George Waldner View Post
    In hand work it is much more efficient to join the boards before flattening the faces. We use straight edge and winding sticks to ensure that the boards mate well and only flatten the face afterwards. This saves having to flatten the faces of each individual board, and then the glued up board.

Tony: You need to be able to identify they high spots and plane only those spots (not the whole length) until until there are no gaps. Set the plane very fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    In hand work it is much more efficient to join the boards before flattening the faces. We use straight edge and winding sticks to ensure that the boards mate well and only flatten the face afterwards. This saves having to flatten the faces of each individual board, and then the glued up board.

Tony: You need to be able to identify the high spots and plane only those spots (not the whole length) until until there are no gaps. Set the plane very fine.
    Been trying to find the high spots to no avail. Going to try (maybe tomorrow) the chalk and rub suggestion earlier in the thread.

Supporting both boards high enough to run a light under the join might help, I have never had the need but it may work to find the high spots(s).
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 11-28-2023 at 7:59 PM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Question: does the gap got all the way through...or just one face? maybe the high spots are around in back? So that from where the OP is standing, it would LOOK like a gap all the way along the boards...?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Question: does the gap got all the way through...or just one face? maybe the high spots are around in back? So that from where the OP is standing, it would LOOK like a gap all the way along the boards...?
    As far as I can tell, all the way around. I’ve looked from both sides and there’s a gap on both.