Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost free planes for new members. Giving five more away!

Almost free planes for new members. Giving five more away!

So here's the deal, in the spirit of the season of giving, I will give them free to new "contributors" to Saw Mill Creek LIMIT one per contributor. So putting a small twist in the rules.
    Join and then respond to this post. Tell me which one you need and why. I will probably pick the first to reply for each plane. If you are interested in several planes that is ok.
    Just make a separate response for each one. You will only get one plane so make your posts in a priority order.
    I will accept any new creekers from August 1, 2023 on.

The real cost? For a minimum of $6.00 you can join for a year. You can always give more. It's a hell of a deal. Note: All money goes to SMC, I will not make anything.
    This is my offer and not affiliated with SMC except that I am a contributing member. Just my way of supporting both SMC and new contributors.
    By joining you can't really lose. These planes are not for collectors. They are to be used. If for some reason you don't like it, send to another Creeker please.

Here is a picture of the planes. From top to bottom:

Stanley #8C
    Stanley #6C (No longer available)
    Stanley #5 1/2C
    Stanley #5C
    Craftsman #4 (Made by Sargent)

Note: All these planes have been cleaned and are ready to use. There still may be some hidden rust. Suggest taking apart and oiling everything.
    Blades are somewhat sharp and of good length. Honing would help.

Stanley group 1.jpg
    Last edited by Eric Brown; 11-29-2023 at 7:34 AM. Reason: availability

Your generosity is awesome. I’m interested in the 6C if it’s still available. I have moved away from machines to almost all hand tool woodworking because I love the quiet (I listen to opera while I work), the feeling of pride in craftsmanship and the sense of historical connection. I joined SMC 2 weeks ago, with $6 upper.

Blog Entries
    Thats cool!

edited to remove content that did not sound as I intended.

I am trying to write a sentence abbot the journey a plane will take you on. The joy of victory and the agony of defeat. Labor, satisfaction , labor.
    (thinking about other plane thread)
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-29-2023 at 9:01 AM. Reason: Remove unintended negativity
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Thats cool!

edited to remove content that did not sound as I intended.

I am trying to write a sentence abbot the journey a plane will take you on. The joy of victory and the agony of defeat. Labor, satisfaction , labor.
    (thinking about other plane thread)
    Don't forget the joy of both feeling and hearing a shaving being made and the satisfaction those bring.

Eric,

Thank you for your generous help to promote the site by getting some of the readers to become members. (I too was a reader of the site for quite a while before I became a member.)

You can see from the photos, that he does a beautiful job of restoring the vintage planes.

Eric, if you get the time sometime, please write up how you get the lever caps on the planes to look so good. (I like to restore the old planes, saws, and chisels that I use, and do pretty nice work, but don't think I can get the lever caps to look as good as yours. Thus am always looking for information on how to do the restorations better and more quickly. However, based on his posts, I will never be able to do a restoration as quickly as Steven does, but slowly seem to do restorations a bit more quickly as time permits.)

At any rate, thanks again for the generous offer for some of the folks who become new members.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 11-29-2023 at 11:16 PM.

This is such a good thing to do. I applaud you. Having already benefited from a similar give away, I got 2 planes from Steven. I put them both to use a couple of days ago
    I love SawmillCreek and you guys are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Eric,

Thank you for your generous help to promote the site by getting some of the readers to become members. (I too was a reader of the site for quite a while before I became a member.)

You can see from the photos, that he does a beautiful job of restoring the vintage planes.

Eric, if you get the time sometime, please write up how you get the lever caps on the planes to look so good. (I like to restore the old planes, saws, and chisels that I use, and do pretty nice work, but don't think I can get the lever caps to look as good as yours. Thus am always looking for information on how to do the restorations better and more quickly. However, based on his posts, I will never be able to do a restoration as quickly as Steven does, but slowly seem to do restorations a bit more quickly as time permits.)

At any rate, thanks again for the generous offer for some of the folks who become new members.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Well Stew, it isn't a race. Enjoy the journey. Slow can be relaxing. I have found that a clean and polished tool performs better/easier.
    I am trying to help people to become members but I'm a little perplexed. My First offer for a #607 jointer was done in less than an hour. Since then it has had 655 views as of 11/30/23.
    Only one other person showed interest in a similar plane. So I sent them one.
    Started a new offer for five planes, ranging from a #8 to a #4. All good working planes. So far only one given away.
    This post has over 405 views as of 11/30/23. If the rest aren't given away in about a week I might just rescind the offer and sell them on E-Bay.
    I will be satisfied with those I have helped.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    This is such a good thing to do. I applaud you. Having already benefited from a similar give away, I got 2 planes from Steven. I put them both to use a couple of days ago
    I love SawmillCreek and you guys are awesome.
    We try. Please post pictures of your work. Even if not done yet. Don't hesitate because you don't think it's good enough. Sometimes more experience people can give pointers just by seeing what you've done.

You should get the #6C by this weekend. Enjoy.

Should have waited to become a supporter. 😜

If there is no other interest, I would love the 5 1/2C. I use my No 6 for a lot of no. 5 jobs, because the blade is wider and I can skew the plane more, but it is heavy. The shorter length would also be a benefit. I joined in Oct for $6.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    We try. Please post pictures of your work. Even if not done yet. Don't hesitate because you don't think it's good enough. Sometimes more experience people can give pointers just by seeing what you've done.
    You'll get a chuckle I'm sure. I was flattening some twisted 2x3s to use for crossmembers in a temporary christmas train table. I have started drawing up something better for next year. I'll be looking for advice before I start that.

So here's the deal, in the spirit of the season of giving, I will give them free to new "contributors" to Saw Mill Creek LIMIT one per contributor. So putting a small twist in the rules.
    Join and then respond to this post. Tell me which one you need and why. I will probably pick the first to reply for each plane. If you are interested in several planes that is ok.
    Just make a separate response for each one. You will only get one plane so make your posts in a priority order.
    I will accept any new creekers from August 1, 2023 on.

The real cost? For a minimum of $6.00 you can join for a year. You can always give more. It's a hell of a deal. Note: All money goes to SMC, I will not make anything.
    This is my offer and not affiliated with SMC except that I am a contributing member. Just my way of supporting both SMC and new contributors.
    By joining you can't really lose. These planes are not for collectors. They are to be used. If for some reason you don't like it, send to another Creeker please.

Here is a picture of the planes. From top to bottom:

Stanley #8C
    Stanley #6C (No longer available)
    Stanley #5 1/2C
    Stanley #5C
    Craftsman #4 (Made by Sargent)

Note: All these planes have been cleaned and are ready to use. There still may be some hidden rust. Suggest taking apart and oiling everything.
    Blades are somewhat sharp and of good length. Honing would help.

Stanley group 1.jpg
    The 5 1/2C is no longer available.
    As of 12/1/23 the 8C, 5C and 4 are available.

Just looked and it seems unbelievable to me but there have been over 710 views. And none of them want an almost free plane?
    Last edited by Eric Brown; 12-01-2023 at 6:31 PM.

The 5 1/2C is no longer available.
    As of 12/1/23 the 8C, 5C and 4 are available.

Just looked and it seems unbelievable to me but there have been over 710 views. And none of them want an almost free plane?
    I guess there aren’t enough new members or they aren’t in the hand tool forum, cause if I was new I would jump all over that 8C or any of the rest. A well tuned hand plane is such a joy to use and, quite frankly, addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Focht View Post
    I guess there aren’t enough new members or they aren’t in the hand tool forum, cause if I was new I would jump all over that 8C or any of the rest. A well tuned hand plane is such a joy to use and, quite frankly, addictive.
    Yes, and these are all in good shape. Weird.