Thread: Powermatic PM701 riser block

Powermatic PM701 riser block

It recently was temporarily discontinued by powermatic but I still need one or two of them. Anybody know of any, know somebody whom is not using or does not want it or them please message me. I'm considering the task of making them myself but time is of the essence. I need 4" of rise to clear 7.75" rails.

Thanx in advance for any help,
    Greg B

Jake - A swing and a miss. The 701 is a mortiser, not a bandsaw, but good effort.

Greg - I dunno, but I kind of think I'd get some hard maple blocks, with a steel plate on top to prevent dents, and long bolts. Maybe not a production-run thing, but seems to me the density is enough to do the job.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

You will have to be careful changing the design of that machine. The same effort you put on the machine before the riser will probably double the load through the column by lengthening it. A grade 5 bolt will be a smart addition. I'd assume you will be able to see the column flex with the riser.

I made mine out of beech. Used it for 10 years without an issue. Easy to just make your own. I sold the machine last year when I got a domino.

Many bandsaw risers have been made of hardwood. Just make sure the grain is parallel to the holding bolt. On my delta 14" I should have tossed the bolt and used a stud with a nut top and bottom of the table.
    BilLD

I appreciate the reply's . I haven't started but I picked up a blank of 2" and the same in 4" steel and also found the factory 2" to get the dimensions off of it. It's a loaner. I'm going to dowel both ends between the bolts to lock down the correct position the project I'm working is poplar 8/4 so I should be good.
    Thanx