Thread: Lee Valley Cyber Monday sale

Lee Valley Cyber Monday sale

Wow- just left the site. Seriously slim offerings. Nothing to get excited about. I did buy myself a discounted gift card however.

Dave, I feel your pain. Sells everywhere are slim and none this year. Most businesses are offering 10-15 percent discounts for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. That's pretty much what they offer all year long. Nothing notable to look forward to. I was wanting to buy a big ticket item, but will wait for now. I remember when a business would have items upwards of 50+% off on these sells. Not anymore.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Blog Entries
    That $1000 gift card is a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Dave, I feel your pain. Sells everywhere are slim and none this year. Most businesses are offering 10-15 percent discounts for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. That's pretty much what they offer all year long. Nothing notable to look forward to. I was wanting to buy a big ticket item, but will wait for now. I remember when a business would have items upwards of 50+% off on these sells. Not anymore.

There used to be less competition and more markup unfortunately everything is a little tighter

I was reading past entries here and other places on the sale items that LV offered on Cyber Monday before the COVID years.
    Wow. What a difference.

I bought a $250 [discounted] gift card for an upcoming purchase of about $220... I'm sure I can find another thing to buy to make up the $30 difference
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    I bought a $250 [discounted] gift card for an upcoming purchase of about $220... I'm sure I can find another thing to buy to make up the $30 difference
    I tend to keep a watch on lower prided items like hardware, files, books or other items of interest to add to orders if needed to get up to the free shipping.

Of course my last order was well over two or three times the free shipping amount, but it is nice to pick up a few of the lower cost items when ordering.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The sexier products that used to be the stars of the Cyber Monday offerings are now sold in their "seconds" event in late October. But, the discounted gift cards they're selling today effectively let you get (almost) whatever you want from them on sale - up to 15% off, if you pop for the $1000 card. (As a bonus, when you later buy products using the gift card, you don't have to give them any more money. Even if it involves some self-deception, it's very liberating to get tools "for free"!)
    Last edited by Dave Fitzgerald; 11-27-2023 at 3:49 PM.

I've been looking at AV receivers for many months. Yesterday I finally pulled the trigger and ordered one from Crutchfield. It's been on sale at $400 off for many months. I figured it wasn't going any lower for Cyber Monday and I was right. The price is the same today. Today Amazon has the same receiver promoted as a Cyber Monday deal at the same price as Crutchfield. And Amazon has had that receiver at the same price for many months.

Yeah, it's all the illusion of savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Yeah, it's all the illusion of savings.
    Like Sears sales then.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Like Sears sales then.
    And mattress sales.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I for sure didn't start this thread to pile on Lee Valley. The state of business today is what it is. And I'm sure it is not what it used to be.

These are rough times biz-wise. Thankfully this company I love does not engage in the aforementioned practices. As well as, 'Mark it up, to mark it down'.

Just learned that my gift card is in the mail. Last years card has a balance and I'll be applying them both toward another fantastic tool at some point. Can't wait to find out what it will be. Have a feeling that PMV11 will be in the description.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    And mattress sales.
    I used to live in Hampton, Virginia where there was a furniture store called Haynes. Literally, no kidding, every single week of they year, Haynes was having a "Sale!". It became amusing to hear the creative ways they described each sale. Of course, every holiday had a sale. My favorite was, "Haynes is having an employee sale, but you can come too!".

I just checked the web site and, what do you know, Haynes is having a Cyber Monday Sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I used to live in Hampton, Virginia where there was a furniture store called Haynes. Literally, no kidding, every single week of they year, Haynes was having a "Sale!". It became amusing to hear the creative ways they described each sale. Of course, every holiday had a sale. My favorite was, "Haynes is having an employee sale, but you can come too!".
    This is the way most furniture stores seem to work. They have a different sale very week. If they happen to not have a sale then wait a week and there will be a sale.

One local chain of furniture stores has a "Suggested Retail Price" on everything that seems to be some made up number that is sky high and probably nobody has ever paid the SRP for anything. They then offer large discounts off the fictional SRP as their sale price. One week it might be 40% and the next week it might be 35% and they pay the sales tax. I'm not sure there is a regular price for any of their furniture as the price is different every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    I saw plenty of decent deals over the Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I got a heck of a deal on synthetic diesel oil for my converted bus. I also bought an Aeron chair for 25% off and free shipping. Herman Miller has sales throughout the year, but I talked to some co-workers who bought Aeron chairs and they said they only do 25% off once a year. I also bought a Milwaukee PVC cutter on a deal with a free battery. Home Depot assigned a value of $57 to the battery and I was able to return the battery for a sweet deal on the PVC cutter.

I wasn't looking for woodworking stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I saw plenty of decent deals over the Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I got a heck of a deal on synthetic diesel oil for my converted bus. I also bought an Aeron chair for 25% off and free shipping. Herman Miller has sales throughout the year, but I talked to some co-workers who bought Aeron chairs and they said they only do 25% off once a year. I also bought a Milwaukee PVC cutter on a deal with a free battery. Home Depot assigned a value of $57 to the battery and I was able to return the battery for a sweet deal on the PVC cutter.

I wasn't looking for woodworking stuff.
    Bike stuff was on massive savings, up to 50% off for high-end mountain bikes. Really killed the used market though.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut