Thread: wire wheel distressing tool - recommendations?

wire wheel distressing tool - recommendations?

i need to get a tool to wire brush oak for a few large exterior doors. looking at the Makita, and Virutex... or others? does anyone have feedback they can share? thanks.

-- dz

I use the SCT (surface conditioning tool) from Eastwood. There are Many different types of wire brush wheels as well as others. There are some cheap knockoffs sold on Amazon and the wheels fit the Eastwood one. You can get the wheel that leaves the exact texture you're going for, but it takes some experimenting. Wear old clothes or some type of protection because it throws all the spoil back at you.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-co...xoC6O8QAvD_BwE

Tom, this is helpful. Thank you. Can you point me to some of the third-party or aftermarket wire wheels that you buy? Their website is somewhat crappy, and I’m having trouble finding the specifications on what would be purchased. Thanks.

I know that most Italian widebelts can be configured with a brushing head on the outfeed but that was definitely a one-off configuration and not many shops seemed to have one built that way. For just a couple of doors, the Eastwood tool that Tom linked is what I’d go for.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have the Harbor Freight one like Tom M King's, and the Makita wheel sander.

The HF is very handy, & the speed control allows use at a low speed which is good. Good for rusty metal, irregular & live edge. I mostly use a coarse nylon brush, or flap type for metal. No provision for dust collection- pretty much use outside only.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1

The Makita is expensive- both the machine and the wheels, but works very well on flat stock. It has a dust collection port, but I use it outside as well. Dragging a hose along on 16' planks is awkward.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The lock on button is key for both machines. I use primarily to clean up salvaged lumber, & will in fact be doing that today with some beams that sat out in the dirt for a year. Really saves knives by removing grit. Less useful for eroding wood away for a distressed look- doesn't remove that much material.
    Last edited by Cameron Wood; 11-26-2023 at 12:07 PM.

I have a tool called the Restorer (www.restorertools.com). It is available as a kit and has quite a few additional accessories available. It works quite well.

my issue with the Eastwood SCT is that i cannot see that they have (or i can guarantee compatibility of) a steel wire wheel brush option. i don't want to sand, i want to brush. the restorer tools is very interesting... seems pretty close to perfect.

In previous discussions, the Restorer tool has come up short in reviews- underpowered & others IIRC.

These wire wheels fit the Bauer tool, but rub on the guard a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/BHA-Steel-Bru...l%2C122&sr=1-3

David, Eastwood normally has a good website but must be in some sort of transition. Go to Amazon and type "Eastwood SCT wheel" in the search box. All the Eastwood variations should come up as well as the knockoff wheels and probably the knockoff machines too.

I have so many different wheelss that I can't tell you which one to use. As a general rule, when I'm aging wood to match old wood I will try several different ones until I find the right one for that job. I don't keep up with which does what, or even where it came from. I have some softer stainless steel and brass wire brush wheels which do most of the work on wood. It usually takes one softer than I thought to start with.

What about sand blasting? You can use other then sand. Like walnut shells, Dry ice, etc for less aggressive methods.
    Bill D

Hi David,
    I have the Atol "electric polisher"--on line and the same tool by other vendors @ that price range. It came with two nylon brushes and a maroon Scotch Bright textured drum. I ordered an extra wire brush thinking wire meant metal wire but got another nylon brush-HF freight has them in stock tho. I brushed/cleaned old growth VG cedar fencing and the nylon cleaned the surface but didn't remove the paint or texture the surface.. Just finished brushing 500+ ft of VG fir shiplap--it was the sheeting under a slate roof from a 100 y.o. mansion --some boards were 14' long and no knots-incredible stuff--the nylon brush cleaned and burnished the surface but didn't remove wood or add surface texture. I don't have the metal wire brush to try so can't compare. I have used a sandblaster with walnut shell media and it worked great on NE slabs-just do it outside-. I've also used a wire cup brush on a grinder and it worked
    well on NE slabs but was technique sensitive-can remove lots of wood. Not an expensive tool and has held up so far. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Hi David,
    I have the Atol "electric polisher"--on line and the same tool by other vendors @ that price range. It came with two nylon brushes and a maroon Scotch Bright textured drum. I ordered an extra wire brush thinking wire meant metal wire but got another nylon brush-HF freight has them in stock tho. I brushed/cleaned old growth VG cedar fencing and the nylon cleaned the surface but didn't remove the paint or texture the surface.. Just finished brushing 500+ ft of VG fir shiplap--it was the sheeting under a slate roof from a 100 y.o. mansion --some boards were 14' long and no knots-incredible stuff--the nylon brush cleaned and burnished the surface but didn't remove wood or add surface texture. I don't have the metal wire brush to try so can't compare. I have used a sandblaster with walnut shell media and it worked great on NE slabs-just do it outside-. I've also used a wire cup brush on a grinder and it worked
    well on NE slabs but was technique sensitive-can remove lots of wood. Not an expensive tool and has held up so far. Good luck.
    What's an NE slab?
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Natural edge--not necesarrily fr0m Nebraska