Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamburger pictures

Interesting that high end restaurants which pay a lot of attention to presentation, never, as far as I know, put pictures on the menu while fast food joints where speed and low prices are the keys to success do. I agree, when I see pictures on the menu I also lower my expectations.

Blog Entries
    Which fast food places are you going to that take 20 minutes to make your food? I only eat fast food a couple times per month, at most. However, I have never waited 20 minutes to receive my food order.
    This reminds me of something that bugs me locally.

The large grocer in our area has a deli counter that also makes sandwiches.

One one of the cases is a sign saying, "your deli order can be left at the counter and will be prepared while you do the rest of your shopping."

Often there is only one attendant at the deli order end and one making sandwiches. Sometimes the wait is 5 minutes or more. Candy often gives up on ordering if the wait is long. I often ask the person why would anyone wait in line to give a written order and then come back and wait again to pick it up?

Managers come up with brilliant ideas, where if they knew how things worked they would realize it would be a better idea to hire more help.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a need for a cheeseburger fairly often and while I've found some excellent ones at a couple of watering holes I can't get used to the $15 they ask so, I've become a Culver's regular and am pretty happy with their product.

I also buy Sam's prime ground beef patties and make my own, which my wife prefers.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    I also buy Sam's prime ground beef patties and make my own, which my wife prefers.
    I like to make burgers the way Candy showed me. Mix half hamburger and half sausage.

Legally it isn't a hamburger, thank the beef association for that, it sure tastes good.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I like to make burgers the way Candy showed me. Mix half hamburger and half sausage.

Legally it isn't a hamburger, thank the beef association for that, it sure tastes good.

jtk
    My Dad always made burgers half sirloin and half ground chuck....and thick.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    My Dad always made burgers half sirloin and half ground chuck....and thick.
    I remember one time at Costco they ran out of the beef they usually grind into hamburger and used tri-tip instead. Those were good burgers.

jtk

I guess my wife's burgers are real Outlaw Burgers. She uses ground beef plus ground pork and sometimes ground turkey plus garlic, onion and spices.

If you make burgers with pork or turkey you have to thoroughly cook them.
    I like burgers the way I like steak -- medium, with some pink in the middle.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 11-28-2023 at 12:33 AM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    If you make burgers with pork or turkey you have to thoroughly cook them.
    I like burgers the way I like steak -- medium, with some pink in the middle.
    You are also supposed to cook ground beef thoroughly. The reasoning is that any bacteria on the surface will get ground into the meat. Whole meat like steaks, chops, roast, and the like will only have bacteria on the surface, if any, and it will get killed during the cooking process.

I want on a camping trip once where raw food was provided that participants needed to cook. One meal with hamburgers and the patties were maybe 1/4" thick. The organizers wanted to be sure the burgers were cooked well enough to kill any bacteria. It would have been very difficult to not cook them well.

Blog Entries
    I’m a five guys fan but to each his own. It takes 10-15 minutes because they cook to order. They give you peanuts to eat while you wait so you don’t get antsy.

Blog Entries
    I keep thinking about the movie Falling Down as I read this thread.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Wife likes her meats to look same color as charcoal, before lighting, as in BLACK! Can't stand for her to cook me a burger, as it's dried out and HARD, just the way she likes them. An instant read thermometer should be on every grill / griddle. One hundred sixty degrees on inside, and it's DONE! Smash burgers on the griddle are so easy to cook, as they are so thin after smashing. Both Freddies, and Culvers do smash burgers. What we really like about Culvers, is about once a month we get BOGO coupons in the mail. Makes it easy to decide where to go to eat with friends after church on Sunday.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 11-28-2023 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I keep thinking about the movie Falling Down as I read this thread.
    Now that you mentioned it...
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    I became very fond of McDonald's as a youngster. There was one in the basement of the university bookstore on the MU campus. It was very close to our house. I could pickup a few return for deposit soda bottles in the Sigma Chi and Kappa Alpha parking lots, cash them in and get a cheeseburger.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-29-2023 at 10:51 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I remember years ago some advertisers got in trouble because they used tricks like mashed potatoes to make ice cream that did not melt under the studio lighting.
    Bill D