Thread: Scraper plane, and length between sharpening?

Scraper plane, and length between sharpening?

Never owned a Scraper plane, so was wondering how long does the Burr or Edge last on Scraper plane blade? Say compared to a Smoothing plane?

Seems A-2 steel is used by LN & LV.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kraakenes View Post
    Never owned a Scraper plane, so was wondering how long does the Burr or Edge last on Scraper plane blade? Say compared to a Smoothing plane?

Seems A-2 steel is used by LN & LV.
    It's like asking how long a razor lasts. How tough is the wood? Are you after a measurement in distance, like 10 board foot? Maybe time, like 2 hours? I doubt anybody can give you and accurate answer.
    However, maybe you should start with a hand scraper first. That would give you a good idea based on your woods and help develop technique.

+1 with what Eric wrote, but keep in mind that LN recommends no burr on their scraper plane blades. I own their 112 & 212 scrapers and, while it takes a bit of practice to set it up properly, they work great without a burr.

Just by going by looks of tiny Burr, I would think Scraper plane would need to be sharpend constantly.

But I have no idea how strong the Burr actually is..

Last sharpened in July....Stanley No.80....still going along just fine..YMMV ( just used it again, today...Ash Top for the Chest of Drawers build)
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Actually it's a fair question, you asked about a comparison. The reason I can't give you an answer is down to my scraper sharpening skill which is deplorable. But I can estimate that a smoothing plane would last much longer.

Well, like everything else, they work best when freshly sharpened. The first few strokes they work like a dream, then get progressively worse in my experience. I happened to get in a box lot of other things, four pieces of an old Simonds saw plate, cut up for Stanley 80 blades, I have the original blade that came with the scraper as well as a Hock replacement. (I don't notice much difference in the different blades by the way). So I have six blades, I sharpen them all at once. Then I use each until I notice it loses its bite and then swap another in. Most smallish projects don't use them up. I work mostly in well behaved hardwoods with the occasional exotic species tossed in.

As for the burr or hook (I call it) I don't turn a hook on these blades, but I do polish them pretty well. This is one instance where I use the Tormek and a honing jig.

DC
    Last edited by David Carroll; 12-05-2023 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added a thought