Thread: What kind of hammer is this?

What kind of hammer is this?

Found at a garage sale, this all-steel hammer is 1lb. 3oz. and cost me $1.00
    No manufacture's name on it.
    I've never seen one like this before. For its size, this thing can pack a wallop.
    Is this maybe a machinist's tool?

MH1.jpgMH2.jpgMH3.jpgMH4.jpg
    Last edited by James Spangler; 11-24-2023 at 3:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    It looks a lot like some hammers I have that were made by Parents and Grandparents in Manual Training Class back in the day.

Photo on 11-24-23 at 2.41 PM.jpg Photo on 11-24-23 at 4.58 PM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-24-2023 at 6:02 PM. Reason: sorry about that hair in the image
    Best Regards, Maurice

I agree that it looks like a school made hammer. The square shape is commonly used by sheet metal workers to form bends and corners.
    Machinists typically used brass or bronze tools that were softer than the typical metals they work on.

Looks like the old gadget hammers sold in the POPULAR mags. Today they would be sold as “ medicine stash hammers”.

Maybe for a Tinsmith?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    My wife is still sore about the only B she ever got in her entire school carrier of straight A's, including college and nursing school. Her one B was in metallurgy class at Boston Technical High School. Her project was a turned metal paper weight. The paper weight has a very similar look to that of the O.P.'s hammer.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Yup, that looks like a high school metal shop project.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    I agree it is most likely a school metal shop project . My reasoning is it incorporates many features taught in metal shop. Turning, knurling , threading, countersinking fasteners etc. The handle is all wrong for the balance of the mass of the head and it looks like it has never see a day of work.
    Just a S.W.A.G.
    calabrese55
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

Quote Originally Posted by mike calabrese View Post
    I agree it is most likely a school metal shop project . My reasoning is it incorporates many features taught in metal shop. Turning, knurling , threading, countersinking fasteners etc. The handle is all wrong for the balance of the mass of the head and it looks like it has never see a day of work.
    Just a S.W.A.G.
    calabrese55
    I have no opinion on what type of hammer it is or if it's a school project BUT;
    Judging a hammer by the handle/head proportions and balance is a non stsrter.
    There are dozens and dozens of hammers that have the appearance of being out of proportion.
    Genno, chasing hammers, caulking mallets, are jsut a few examples that can all have an unbalanced look to them

IIRC I made one almost like that in 1976 in Beginning Machine Shop class. The knurling tool fascinated me. After that everything I made that was cylindrical had knurling on it somewhere. :-)
    BillL

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I have no opinion on what type of hammer it is or if it's a school project BUT;
    Judging a hammer by the handle/head proportions and balance is a non stsrter.
    There are dozens and dozens of hammers that have the appearance of being out of proportion.
    Genno, chasing hammers, caulking mallets, are jsut a few examples that can all have an unbalanced look to them
    Didn't mean to malign the hammer BUT I know school metal shop products when I see them.
    calabrese55
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

Blog Entries
    The two I posted images of are both horrible hammers.
    Best Regards, Maurice