Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little tip to make a little improvement in your reading, remember I said little

A little tip to make a little improvement in your reading, remember I said little

I have been reading the Wall Street Journal for many years. It is a broadsheet and I’ve always found it cumbersome to read. Recently I discovered that through a series of unnoticed price increases it had risen to well over $600 a year. ( think of all the wood you could buy with that ), so I decided to try the digital edition.
    Guess what, it’s cheaper, easier to read, doesn’t get wet when it’s delivered on a rainy day and there are no more missed deliveries because the deliverer is sick or just forgot you that day. I also find I read much more of the paper using the digital edition.
    So that’s my little tip for today, what’s yours?
    Dennis

I ditched the "newspaper" several years ago. Had been subscribed since I was 19 and had read it every day. Come home from a vacation and spend hours reading what I had missed. Now I read it online and never miss a day

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    I ditched the "newspaper" several years ago. Had been subscribed since I was 19 and had read it every day. Come home from a vacation and spend hours reading what I had missed. Now I read it online and never miss a day
    I read from screen when I have to (such as right now) but neither my eyes nor brain like it.
    I get about 8 hard copy journals... I very much enjoy reading them... those and all my hard copy books.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

These are the bomb for reading in bed- don't even bother with anything else. In use for at least several years, my wife and I both use them.

https://mightybright.com/products/re...ablebook-light

I'm a voracious fiction reader and have been digital for well over a decade...and have a Kindle Unlimited subscription to support that. The Kindle Paperwhite is very easy on the eyes and for folks that need larger characters, one can change that on the fly.

I honestly have not read newspapers for years other than sometime browsng a local paper that is free that we use with our birdcages... . Its available digital free, too, but the birds can't "read" that...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-24-2023 at 1:33 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I get a regional digital paper for the local news. Almost unreadable because of the ads, but it's the only choice for anything local.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have been a digital reader for years. My subscription to Apple News offers several papers and magazines. I read the Wall St. journal and the Washington Post daily. That way I know what both sides are up to.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I'm not in the voracious category like Jim, but I do read on my Kindle Paperwhite. Since I do most of my reading at night in bed; ditching various clip-on lights is a dream come true not to mention that Kindle books are usually cheaper and you can carry virtually a whole library without adding to the weight of the device .
    For how-to type books with diagrams you want to reference as you read the Kindle or any e-book is not as good a method as a paper book.
    Our paper only publishes an electronic version on Mondays and I don't have any trouble reading it on my Android tablet but the paper version on other days is fine too at the breakfast table and that's about the only place I read it. The paper's app makes it quite nice for zooming and moving about.
    Last edited by Bill Howatt; 11-24-2023 at 3:35 PM.

I'm currently reading a 900 page book in bed at night. It's heavy and I'm less than 1/3 done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I'm currently reading a 900 page book in bed at night. It's heavy and I'm less than 1/3 done.
    Be careful how you prop yourself up when you read in bed. You can really do a number on your neck if your head and spine are not in a straight line.
    It's very natural for a person to thrust his head a bit forward when reading in bed, even when propped up by pillows.
    It can also cause tight/ sore muscles in your upper back around the shoulder blades.
    I stopped reading in bed after I had neck surgery (cervical fusion of C5-C6-C7).
    The surgery fixed the stenosis caused by a few osteophytes, and the cessation of bed reading resulted in all my other neck/upper back problems resolving.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

The US supreme court, and many state courts, require typing to be in a sans serif font and 12 point. They say 14 point is too large?
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    You can't wrap up the fish guts, start a fire or package a delicate piece of glassware with a digital edition. Though as small as the paper edition is getting you can't wrap a very large fish with it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Growing up my dad referred to the local paper as the Daily fishwrapper. Wrapper has. different meaning these days I suppose.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    That's the "killer app" for Kindle. If you like doorstop-sized books (fiction or other mostly-text), your wrists and hands will be much happier in the digital world. (I've added one of those pop-socket cellphone holders to my Paperwhite: makes it a true one-hand operation.)

My local paper (LA Times) digital edition website has both a zoomable WYSIWYG "page mode" display and an "article mode" that sequences from one story to the next. And yes, each comic counts as an article; the puzzles also get separated out, although those need to be printed to be useful. The Paperwhite really isn't the right tool for that...no true browser, can't access the printers, and B&W only. But it works great on the 10" Fire tablet or anything else that has a Chrome-ish browser.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The US supreme court, and many state courts, require typing to be in a sans serif font and 12 point. They say 14 point is too large?
    I suspect that's what works best with whatever OCR software they use.

There's a push here to get court stuff filed electronically, and eventually everything will be digital-only. But it does seem to be taking a stupidly long time to get everybody onboard with that.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.