Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heel Spurs - Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Big difference between a Podiatrist like I had which was just a DO and one Certified to be a Surgeon and he was not. DPM only have 4 years of training plus 3 years of work with supervision in the field.
    Just like a regular MD they have to attend college taking prerequisites before they can apply for the medical side of the schooling followed by residency requirements. Below text was copied from the website for the association of podiatric medicine. Maybe yours wasn't a typical Podiatrist. By todays standards however they will have had at least 7 years of school plus residency.

To enter a podiatric medical school, one must first complete a minimum of three years or 90 semester hours of college credit at an accredited institution. Over 97% of the students who enter podiatric medical school have a bachelor’s degree. Many have also completed some graduate study.

https://aacpm.org/becoming-a-podiatr...an/admissions/

My doctor said that surgery was the last resort. He said surgery on the foot is not a good thing as it can cuase other problems and the healing proccess is slow.

Things must have changed dramatically. The last Podiatrist I knew, went to Podiatrist school after just 2 years of college and Podiatry school was only 2 years. I liked the guy a lot, but would never let the guy do more than remove a hang nail.

I had trouble with bone spurs on the feet and two foot doctors I consulted were anxious to do surgery, I also knew an Orthopedic surgeon and went to see him, he advised against surgery, to change the style of shoes I wear and gave me some medical articles about studies concerning recurrence of the spurs after surgery. At least back then in the early 1990's, surgery looked like a temporary fix and they were likely to recur. I went to wearing loafers, and frankly, I wear shoes as little as possible. I even farm and bale hay in some sturdy sandals most of the year. My feet are much happier now. Back on October, Mrs. and I hiked 9 miles along a beach and I was bare foot. Followed that up with another 4.5 mile hike on packed sand trails 2 days later. also barefoot.