Thread: Laguna 14BX bandsaw blade tension

Laguna 14BX bandsaw blade tension

Hi folks,
    I'm new to band saws and recently purchased a Laguna 14BX. I received my first two blades from bandsawbladesdirect this week:

• Lenox Diemaster 2 Bi-Metal 1/2" x .025" 4TPI
    • Lenox Flex Back Carbon 1/4" x .025" 6TPI

I installed the 1/2" Diemaster first and have a concern: With the quick-release handle engaged, the 1/2" blade seems to already be at full tension even with the spring tension backed all the way down to the stop. In the "loosest" state, the blade exhibits less than 1/8" deflection when pushing on it just above the exit from the top cabinet as shown in the Laguna instruction videos. The tension gauge (which I know is only a rough estimate) is off the bottom of the scale as the spring is all the way down. (see pic) Is this normal? Is it possible that the blade is slightly shorter than the 115" inches I ordered?
    20231121_100423.jpg 20231121_100404.jpg

I installed the 1/4" Flex Back and it required enough spring tension to bring the needle up to the proper spot - so that one seems fine. Has anyone else experienced this? I would imagine that it's fine to run the 1/2" with the spring all the way down as long as I can be confident that the blade is at proper tension, but I thought I should check with others first.

Many thanks for your input and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Last edited by Daniel Alcini; 11-22-2023 at 10:44 PM.

It sounds like the two blades are not the exact same length.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have the same saw. I only use/own Laguna blades and they pretty much line up perfectly. If I were using any other brand I would only use the tension as a guide and a means to remember what settings to go back to on a blade change.

Even with my Laguna blades, I still check deflection and I wouldn’t give it much thought if I had to adjust it.

the tension gauge is nothing more than a flexible magnet. you could use it on your refrigerator to hold kids art.
    i didn't realize this and think it contributed to several broken blades as it probably moved in shipping. also suggest sticking with 0.025' thickness like you have. one of the blade manufacturers suggested a blade that was 0.035 and it cracked in the gullets. as others have suggested the thicker blades don't hold up well on a 14" saw. I have the 14-12. The laguna shear force 5/8", a bi-metal variable 2-3 pitch blade, has been great for breaking down thick (8/4 and 10/4) stock.

Hi Gents,
    Well, it looks like the issue is blade length. I carefully measured the 1/2" blade 3 times today and it's 114 5/16" - which is quite a bit shorter than the 115" I ordered. Per the manual, blade range for this saw is 114 3/4" to 116". I'll have to contact BSBD for an exchange.

20231124_132047_small.jpg

With low tooth counts, bandsaw blades are welded mid-way between two teeth, so you won't get the exact length you specified unless that length happens to correspond with that criterion. With that in mind, it might be better to order a blade in the middle of the allowable range, with a whole number of teeth. For example, if you wanted a blade with 3 tpi, at 115" total length there would 345, which works because it's a whole number, but one tooth under that results in a length of 114.67, which is pretty close to what yours ended up. But if you had ordered a blade at 115.33" long, it would have 346 teeth, and one tooth more or less would still leave it in range.

114-5/16" actually is pretty close to a whole number of teeth, at 342.94, and might actually be correct with for their manufacturing process. The problem is it was too short.

At high tooth counts this becomes irrelevant. There are so many teeth that you could specify any length without worry. But it's still best to order something in mid range, unless experience with the saw shows otherwise.

John

Hi John,
    All good information - thanks. At 4 TPI in this blade, I would think that 1/4" too short or long would be acceptable (which is a variance of 1 tooth) but this blade is virtually 3 teeth short of the 115" mark - and why it won't fit my saw. I like your suggestion to order longer though - and if blades typically err on the short side, that will work. Although with my luck, I'll order a 115.5" and get 117.

I just wanted to report back that bandsawbladesdirect was very responsive to rectify the issue with the short blades. I emailed them Saturday night and received replacement blades Tuesday! They also included a prepaid shipping label for return of the old ones. Great customer service. Both new blades measured 115" spot-on, and installed/tensioned wonderfully on my saw. What a difference.

Excellent! Sounds like they took care of you too.

This video should help you out. Cheers.
    https://youtu.be/xMqJtkkvrdQ?si=FKdVUOQniJ7AuoIh