Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley 607C Jointer Plane - Almost free to lucky new creeker.

Stanley 607C Jointer Plane - Almost free to lucky new creeker.

Sorry, but I just gave it away to a lucky creeker. Perhaps other creekers will make a similar offer?

I am giving away a 607C Stanley Bedrock plane. This is the first style made with the rounded sides. Patented on Apr. 2, 1895. It has the Bedrock design for the frog bed, and the frog adjust screw that was introduced with this model. It does not have the two frog screws that allow adjusting the frog without removing the blade. (The flat top sided model has those.) This plane was bought more than ten years ago off E-Bay. It was low priced because it was totally covered in rust. And I mean everywhere. There is still pitting noticeable on the plane sides, lever cap, and blade/chipbreaker. One of the frog screws was broken off and the threading damaged. These screws were changed from a 12-24 thread to a 1/4-20 and brass screws put in. This plane has been frequently used since I got it. It has been residing in my tool cabinet. I preferred it over my #6 or #8. Note that this plane has too much damage to be a collector. However, it is an excellent user.
    It has a corrugated bottom. Blade has good length, but pitting will need to worked around (or the blade changed. The plane is 22" long. Wood handles are in good shape.

So here's the deal, in the spirit of the season of giving, I will give it free to a new "contributor" to Saw Mill Creek. If you have recently joined or do it soon, you will just need to send me a private message. That way I know you have joined.

The real cost? For a minimum of $6.00 you can join for a year. You can always give more. It's a hell of a deal. Note: All money goes to SMC, I will not make anything.
    This is my offer and not affiliated with SMC except that I am a contributing member. Just my way of supporting both SMC and new contributors.

Here are pictures of the plane.

Stanley 607 3.jpgStanley 607 1.jpgStanley 607 2.jpgStanley 607 4.jpgStanley 607 5.jpgStanley 607 6.jpgStanley 607 7.jpg
    Last edited by Eric Brown; 11-22-2023 at 3:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Very generous of you Eric.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Very generous of you Eric.

jtk
    Two old sayings: You can't take it with you and He who dies with the most toys wins.

Well I don't agree with the second saying. I turn it completely around into: He who dies after giving it all away wins. Since I have retired, I am downsizing and that includes my tools. I am not getting rid of all of them just yet. Just ones I don't need. Decided to keep my Chaplin plane and purge the Stanleys. While I am selling some on E-Bay, others I'm trying to get into the hands of people who want them but may not be able to acquire them. Like young families on tight budgets.
    When I give, I hope that makes someone happy. That is what makes me happy. Just gave my 12 year old great niece some books from Lost Art Press Written by George Walker and Jim Tolpin dealing with math and tools. She loves the books and wants to impress her math teacher. Give to those that need and can use.

bread cast out upon the water will be returned many fold, or so i hope for you. Very nice of you. A class act, sir.

Eric, I love that you are so supportive of new members. I joined Sawmill Creek last week and saw your post but decided not to respond because I already have a no. 7 and don’t need a second one. Like you said, put it in the hands of someone who needs it and will use it.

Imma go look and see if there is something I want to purge that will fit in a flat rate USPS box.

Blog Entries
    Hi Mark and welcome to the Creek.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Leifer View Post
    Eric, I love that you are so supportive of new members. I joined Sawmill Creek last week and saw your post but decided not to respond because I already have a no. 7 and don’t need a second one. Like you said, put it in the hands of someone who needs it and will use it.
    What tools are you looking for? Maybe someone or myself can help. Thank you for joining. Very good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    Imma go look and see if there is something I want to purge that will fit in a flat rate USPS box.
    Thats the spirit. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Leifer View Post
    Perhaps one of these?

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....five-more-away!

This is a great idea. Imma gonna too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    This is a great idea. Imma gonna too.
    Thanks for considering this idea. FYI: This first offering has had almost 900 views and only a few requests for the plane. The second offering of five planes has almost 1400 views. Here it is a week later, and I still have one more to give away. It's a very nice Craftsman #4 made by Sargent. Many of the recipients have offered to pay for shipping. I've said no to all of them as I don't like charging for gifts. Thats just me though. Looking forward to seeing if the gifts actually benefit anybody. Hope so.

Blog Entries
    AWESOME- I love this community! How are you guys doing this- add in classifieds?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    AWESOME- I love this community! How are you guys doing this- add in classifieds?
    No Mike, not classifieds. I wanted to focus on the Neander's. I have done this two different ways. The #607 required someone to join or has recently joined as a contributor for $6 a year. By joining it allows them to send me a PM indicating they wanted it. Then I could get an address and sent it it. I don't charge for shipping so other than the contribution fee, it is free.

I tried a slightly different way when I offered five planes. In that one all a new person had to do was indicate why they wanted it and which one. Limit one per person. Again I paid for shipping.

What I find puzzling is that there were over a 1000 views for both offerings, but very few responses. Maybe they thought it was a trick or something but I actually have sent all but the unclaimed #4 Craftsman. If nobody claims it soon I will stop the offer and sell it on E-Bay instead.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Eric, I saw your other thread where you posted the pics and now I understand -can only send PM if a member!! It’s always the IT that gets me!!