Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: What machine do you enjoy using most?

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Reminds me of the rationalizations that used to come up in photography discussions when comparing the results produced between someone using a vintage camera, with all manual controls, vs those results produced by a fully automated point-and-shoot camera. The latter required virtually no input from the photographer, other than the single push of a button, as long as it was pointed generally in the right direction. Yet the pusher of that button proudly claimed credit for the photo.
    Put myself though college shooting film and transitioned to digital. Understanding light, composition, depth-of-field, etc all take great skill beyond the tool. I heard the same ridiculous arguments there too. It’s comments like yours that exemplify ignorance with a lack of actual experience.

Shows a huge reactional oversensitivity to the analogy.
    It wasn't an over-reaction. It was a comment. I have a degree in that subject and have worked professionally in the field. It's a common enough analogy, and it's always wrong.

I'll take a pinhole camera with interesting composition any day.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Reminds me of the rationalizations that used to come up in photography discussions when comparing the results produced between someone using a vintage camera, with all manual controls, vs those results produced by a fully automated point-and-shoot camera. The latter required virtually no input from the photographer, other than the single push of a button, as long as it was pointed generally in the right direction. Yet the pusher of that button proudly claimed credit for the photo.
    I've learned to just chuckle when I see comments about "just push a button" when applied to CNC technology.

I started woodworking in 1962. I've done it as a hobby ever since, and at times, professionally. I'm retired from the supply side of industrial woodworking equipment - the last 30 in industrial CNC routers, mainly for the wood industry. In my retirement I teach woodworking at the local community college, which has a very top-notch woodworking program. One course I always teach is CNC for Woodworking. Many of my students have taken woodworking classes for years and are very skilled in cabinetry, carving, turning, etc.

One thing they almost universally say at some point during the Intro to CNC class is, "This is the hardest damn class I've had since I started here."

Be nice folks...

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    The op asked what machine so that means one machine not two or three. Nor does it include hand tools.
    I vote that the moderators remove all post that are straying and posters be stripped from a titles duties and assignments or committees.
    Everyone that followed the op’s question get extra rations and free time.
    Good Luck
    Ok, Andrew. Thanks for calling me out, and I’m sorry to have knocked you off your perch. I’ll just stand over here. Carry on.

I’m just messing around Bob. It’s boring up here on my perch
    Buy all means feel free to move about.
    Good Luck always
    Aj

It occurred to me that perhaps one of the biggest reasons that I enjoy most the Monarch lathe is because I am continually challenged by it, and always learning (as I started teaching myself machining after I turned 70 years old--now 80). And perhaps that same reason might be why others here find their CNC experience their favorite. That is to say that it is the continual learning and challenging of oneself that brings many of us great pleasure. I really feel this is an essential aspect, keeping our heads in the game, especially as we become more aged.

Also I might add that one of the great pleasures I get from running the Monarch is simply the inherent joy of operating such a finely made machine. I recently allowed my shop neighbor (a highly skilled female machinist) to briefly try this machine, and she was astounded by the machine's smoothness and lack of vibration.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

That right there is exactly the point, Andy. "Always learning something new" is a great tool attribute and you are correct that the CNC does that for me. "How can I do this?" is a constant and common theme. I bet I'd feel the same way about that lathe, too!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That right there is exactly the point, Andy. "Always learning something new" is a great tool attribute and you are correct that the CNC does that for me. "How can I do this?" is a constant and common theme. I bet I'd feel the same way about that lathe, too!
    Of course you would Jim. I think something inside us dies when we quit learning. Picture the look of wonder in the face of a child who just learned something profound.

Or the look on my face when something cuts the same way I wanted it to
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Myles Moran View Post
    Jointer for sure. I bought it thinking it was just a key step in turning rough sawn lumber into s4s exactly the way I wanted it. I wasn't expecting how satisfying it is to look at a really rough board go through and become slightly more cleaned up with each pass, or cleaning up bandsaw cut tapered legs and seeing the appearance completely change from rough cut to ready for finish sanding in one or two passes.
    You're not alone. I usually buy rough sawn that doesn't look like much in its native state. Few flat passes and a few edge passes over the 12" jointer, plane to desired thickness and homely becomes lovely (usually).

I agree a jointer is just a big upside down hand plane. For solid woodworking it’s indispensable.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Maybe it's because the CNC does exactly what I tell it to do, with no back talk. This is the complete opposite of my kids

While we're on the subject of the pleasure we get from our work I'd like to mention a phenomenon which I keep experiencing, over and over, but which nevertheless continues to surprise and amaze me. Perhaps others here have also experienced this.

In spite of the fact that my very work springs from my own imagination; that every detail of this is worked out in my head, as well as on paper (usually) ; that each and every feature is created by my own hands, as part of the creative fabricating process; I am quite often almost shocked, when I finally view the finished project, to discover just how very well it has turned out!

Surely I am not the only one who has been so gratified by experiencing this "surprise"?

While we're on the subject of the pleasure we get from our work I'd like to mention a phenomenon which I keep experiencing, over and over, but which nevertheless continues to surprise and amaze me. Perhaps others here have also experienced this.

In spite of the fact that my very work springs from my own imagination; that every detail of this is worked out in my head, as well as on paper (usually) ; that each and every feature is created by my own hands, as part of the creative fabricating process; I am quite often almost shocked, when I finally view the finished project, to discover just how very well it has turned out!

Surely I am not the only one who has been so gratified by experiencing this "surprise"?
    +1
    I do share your sentiment, although I would say pleased at the outcome rather than surprised. I also think it makes things just a little sweeter if you use some tools of your own making along the way.