Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

20 Nov 2023

Greetings,
    It's been super busy at the day job and with family. I've not done a good job of keeping up here with the Past Week's Accomplishments each week. I guess it's time I decide to stop doing this each week since I'm "falling down on the job" here at SMC. My apologies to each of you for me not doing well with my commitment. Life changes, we get older and life priorities shift. I'll say at this point that I simply need a break to shift focus on things that are family important at this time. Thanks for listening and Happy Thanksgiving to each of you and your families.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Kitchen project:
    Boxes are complete, drawers are complete
    Face frames and end panels are complete with the exception of pantry and island
    All that remains are drawer fronts/doors, installing drawers, hood, and paint

Shop utility cart is complete with the exception of a few tool holders and replacing the wheels. I installed rollerblade style wheels that seemed like they would work well but they bind with weight on them.

Survived 5 days without natural gas, no hot water heater and no furnace. Fought a head cold to a standoff and am now recovering. I survived!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

No worries, Dennis!

This past week I delivered the ash eating table to our older daughter’s apartment, cleaned up the shop, mowed the lawn, did some housecleaning and some other things in preparation for getting my right wrist redesigned this morning with a little surgery. (It went well) I gotta be a lefty for awhile for healing and PT so woodworking gets a hopefully brief hiatus
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great to hear the surgery went well!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    No worries, Dennis!

This past week I delivered the ash eating table to our older daughter’s apartment, cleaned up the shop, mowed the lawn, did some housecleaning and some other things in preparation for getting my right wrist redesigned this morning with a little surgery. (It went well) I gotta be a lefty for awhile for healing and PT so woodworking gets a hopefully brief hiatus
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Finished putting finish on a staved vase
    calabrese55
    IMG_2023-11-18-15-50-44-146[1].jpg
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

Dennis, don't feel bad about taking me time; we all need that from time to time. I have certainly enjoyed and appreciated your weekly check-ins.

Jim, hope they put in one of those bionic improvements so you'll be able to lift plywood with one hand while trimming it with your track saw in the other hand!

Mike, gorgeous vase!

For me, it's been frustrating couple of weeks....

Starting back a couple of weeks, I assembled the tow behind leaf vac (store it in pieces when not needed) only to find the crankshaft of the engine had sheared. I remember when I shut it down for the last time last fall it made a funny noise as it was spinning down. I made a mental note to check it out, but my mental notes have a habit of erasing themselves these days. Of course the exact B&S engine on it is no longer made, but fortunately they make a newer model that's identical in all the important ways, and I was able to get one in a couple of days. I thought about replacing the crank and bearings but that would have been 2/3 the cost of a new engine, plus time and aggravation, so I went with a new engine and was able to get the leaves taken care of. I did get to exercise my newly acquired welding skills to beef up the bracket that supports the impeller housing, since two of the four factory welds had cracked.

Then I finally had some time to get back to the shop and pick up where I left off on the laundry table project, only to immediately make two boneheaded mistakes by cutting 4 domino mortises in the wrong place on two laminated panels. I have enough left over laminate to remake the panels so that's what I'll do.

And now I've come down with a cold; first one in ages.

On the good side of the ledger, I finished up my part of my sister-in-laws kitchen remodel. Right before we went on vacation, her new countertops were installed, and I went over and installed the new faucet and disposal and hooked up the dishwasher, but I didn't have time to do some sheetrock patches and install some molding, so I finished that up.

An early Happy Thanksgiving to all!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Paul, the operation basically removed three small bones in my wrist to create a new joint that had actual cartilage in it. I had the left done back in about 2017 and was told then that the right would likely need it later on. I’ve put it off as long as I could, but it started to affect sleep and “It was time.”

So now I have a total of six less bones than most folks. I don’t feel any lighter, however
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Built 4 charcuterie boards for friends/family this weekend. My sister is a Star Wars nut so on hers I added a millennium falcon inlay 14” in diameter. Came out very cool.

Good use of scraps and another excuse to use my Frontline panel clamps. Will be doing a review of those soon.

Take care Jim, maybe do some CNC work while you heal up!

I’m making rabbit pull toys for Christmas
    IMG_2064.jpgIMG_2110.jpg

Regards, Rod

Dennis,

Thanks for having kept this thread up- I've enjoyed it, in my relatively short time here.

Nobody stepping up to take over?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    20 Nov 2023

Greetings,
    It's been super busy at the day job and with family. I've not done a good job of keeping up here with the Past Week's Accomplishments each week. I guess it's time I decide to stop doing this each week since I'm "falling down on the job" here at SMC. My apologies to each of you for me not doing well with my commitment. Life changes, we get older and life priorities shift. I'll say at this point that I simply need a break to shift focus on things that are family important at this time. Thanks for listening and Happy Thanksgiving to each of you and your families.
    Dennis, thanks for doing this, you have been motivating us to keep in touch, a worthwhile effort.

I’ll volunteer to start a weekly thread in your absence

Regards, Rod