Thread: Alternatives to Johnson's Paste Wax?

Alternatives to Johnson's Paste Wax?

Hey all, I've had good success applying Johnson's Paste Was with some 0000 steel wool in the past to smooth out the final finish with a hand applied polish. I know its been discontinued but I still have some. That said...

The stuff absolutely stinks up my apartment. What else have you all used in the past? Is there a readily available commercial product that's a bit less turpentine, or could I do a tung oil / bees wax blend? Any thoughts?

This stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Lundmark-Wax-...09&sr=8-1&th=1

You won't miss Johnson's after using it. Very little odor, goes on great. More importantly, wipes off without effort. And best of all, it works great and doesn't leave fingerprints.

John

Thanks John!

Somebody must have stocked up on Johnson Paste Wax. $14.25, says $5 shipping checking out as a guest.

https://www.zoro.com/sc-johnson-wax-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

SWMBO who had more finishing experience than me liked the Bowling Alley Wax from Woodcraft.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 11-20-2023 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Somebody must have stocked up on Johnson Paste Wax. $14.25, says $5 shipping checking out as a guest.

https://www.zoro.com/sc-johnson-wax-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

SWMBO who had more finishing experience than me liked the Bowling Alley Wax from Woodcraft.
    Yes, Butchers Bowling Alley Wax is good stuff, too. I used that before I found Lundmark.

John

John, I picked up a can of the Lundmark. It's a bit "stiffer" than the Johnson's but gives a nice coating and I like the sheen after it's buffed out. So far it's not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    This stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Lundmark-Wax-...09&sr=8-1&th=1

You won't miss Johnson's after using it. Very little odor, goes on great. More importantly, wipes off without effort. And best of all, it works great and doesn't leave fingerprints.

John

Blog Entries
    I couldn’t get anybody to compare the other waxes to Johnson’s, so I’ll pick up the Miniwax.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    John, I picked up a can of the Lundmark. It's a bit "stiffer" than the Johnson's but gives a nice coating and I like the sheen after it's buffed out. So far it's not bad.
    John, did you notice how easily it buffs out and that fingerprints don't leave a mark?

John

I did but I can see accidentally putting too much on a it doesn't spread as easily as Johnson's (minor complaint really). I'll use it some more but so far I like it. And it's far better quality stuff than the minwax I've been using. Thanks for suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    John, did you notice how easily it buffs out and that fingerprints don't leave a mark?

John
    Edit: I just checked for fingerprints, none.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I couldn’t get anybody to compare the other waxes to Johnson’s, so I’ll pick up the Miniwax.
    The minwax is "ok" (the pink stuff, right?) but nothing special. It's soft, easy to spread and buff but you don't even get ingredients on the can for goodness sake. So far (I just got it so grain of salt but...) I like the Lundmark much better.

Blog Entries
    Why would it just be Ok? All I’m using it for is to maintain against rust and keep the surfaces slick.. The Johnson’s paste wax does that..

When I hear “better” what does that mean exactly?
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-08-2024 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Why would it just be Ok? All I’m using it for is to maintain against rust and keep the surfaces slick.. The Johnson’s paste wax does that..

When I hear “better” what does that mean exactly?
    If you still have Johnson's, then your in good shape but I'm out so needed an alternative. I've been using minwax and it gets the job done but nothing like the Johnson's. Less longevity by a long shot, sheen is kind of dull, you'll leave fingerprints if not buffed really well, not as slick (at all) and kind of "grabby" if you use too much - I've been using paraffin on my machines for this reason.

Blog Entries
    I still have some Johnson’s , but I don’t use it like crazy. Only when I think I
    need it or before a big job.

o tried Trewax at the commercial shop, but found myself taking a heat gun to it…

I use trewax more than Johnsons, and I like it better. But, AZ is hot and the rag's been sitting in that can for most of a decade.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I just got a can of this:
    https://www.cottrilltwworks.com/prod...-furniture-wax

Haven't used it much yet, but it smells like oranges instead of chemicals, so plus one for that.