Thread: This mirror frame took a while

This mirror frame took a while

I started this maybe early in the year, and got it made & finished, but then it sat before finally getting the glass installed and hung.
    The room is kind of dark, so this will bring more light from the window.
    Black oak, ebony plugs, some greenish stain, 1/4" plate mirror that came from a bathroom remodel. 4'x2'6", the back has thin ply in a rabbet with small screws- the glass is quite heavy. Interlocking aluminum channel to hang, which is great for bigger, heavier stuff.

IMG_4610.jpeg

Nice work Cameron! I really like the design and execution. Would love to see some more close-up pics to actually see the wood grain. I personally have never witnessed Black Oak in person.

Blog Entries
    That looks excellent!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Nice work Cameron! I really like the design and execution. Would love to see some more close-up pics to actually see the wood grain. I personally have never witnessed Black Oak in person.
    Thanks! Black oak is not commercially milled (AFAIK). I got a bunch when I lived in far northern California, where it grows amid the DF that is logged & milled.
    It has a rustic look that is more in favor these days than formerly, & it machines fine but doesn't polish up well.

One pic shows part of the stain, which was followed by a whitewash.

IMG_3838.jpegIMG_3834.jpeg

Nice job. That would be right at home at my house. I like the half laps.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Your frame and mirror turned out very nice. I like the way you recycled the mirror. I did something similar after we remodeled our bathroom. There was a very large mirror behind the sink. LOML wanted a medicine cabinet with mirror doors. We took the large mirror to a glass cutter and made the three mirrors for the Medicine cabinet plus a framed mirror for the living room.

What is that strangely shaped object hanging over your head in the photo?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Your frame and mirror turned out very nice. I like the way you recycled the mirror. I did something similar after we remodeled our bathroom. There was a very large mirror behind the sink. LOML wanted a medicine cabinet with mirror doors. We took the large mirror to a glass cutter and made the three mirrors for the Medicine cabinet plus a framed mirror for the living room.

What is that strangely shaped object hanging over your head in the photo?
    That's a hang board, for rock climbing grip training. The ceramic heads were made by my mother.