Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The Amalgimated Brain Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    They'll keep all Winter in a root cellar, but I don't think I've eaten 140 pounds in my entire life.
    Sweet potatoes like to be kept above fifty-five degrees F. Keep shop around 60 degrees all winter, so store boxes in there. Unfortunately, because of low winter humidity levels, they tend to dry out a bit. In last few weeks, used last of 2022 crop to make sweet potato pie, casseroles, and candied yams for several meals and covered dinners. In addition to the 160# for us, I also bought a box for daughter in WV, and two boxes for use in Thanksgiving baskets from church for less fortunate families.

This sounds like a high school algebra problem in the making. If Bruce buys 160 pounds of sweet potatoes how many....
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    This sounds like a high school algebra problem in the making. If Bruce buys 160 pounds of sweet potatoes ....
    Bill D
    ... and then he leaves the store traveling north at 30 mph to meet his wife who left their house (40 miles away) 10 minutes earlier and is traveling south at 35 mph....
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

and the question is "what is the name of their dog?"

If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half,
    how long does it take a one-legged monkey to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    and the question is "what is the name of their dog?"
    Actually the question is "What is Bruce's name?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Bruce who?

This is a trick question. Bruce's name is clearly Bruce.

Et Tu Bruce?
    I think his name is really Robert. As in Robert the Bruce.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-30-2023 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Et Tu Bruce?
    I think his name is really Robert. As in Robert the Bruce.
    Bill D.
    Well, if he got 160 pounds of sweet potatoes for about $40, that was a steal, so he is Bruce the Robber(t)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Well, if he got 160 pounds of sweet potatoes for about $40, that was a steal, so he is Bruce the Robber(t)
    Patty, North Carolina is the #1 producer of sweet potatoes. Canners only want a certain size, so rest is considered waste, unless you can establish a market for it. Two local grocery chains (Food Lion, and Harris Teeter) almost always run sweet potatoes the week and a half before Thanksgiving for $0.25 per pound. These are larger potatoes than what they sell during the rest of year, plus they are "uncured.)

Patty, North Carolina is the #1 producer of sweet potatoes. Canners only want a certain size, so rest is considered waste, unless you can establish a market for it. Two local grocery chains (Food Lion, and Harris Teeter) almost always run sweet potatoes the week and a half before Thanksgiving for $0.25 per pound. These are larger potatoes than what they sell during the rest of year, plus they are "uncured.)
    Sweet potatoes here in AZ ... we are lucky to see them at slightly under $1 per lb and that is only around Thanksgiving and Easter.
    And those would be the "unculled" ones, not the picture perfect uniform size ones at most food stores.
    The "presentable" pretty ones are at least $1 per pound and at other times of the year maybe $1.50 per lb.

I had to look up "uncured" (and "cured") sweet potatoes as I did not know what that meant.
    So if you buy them uncured, then when you store them, they are "curing"? So they taste better?

bruces yams 2.jpeg

Seems Bruce's Yams are actually sweet potatoes

edit: I Yam What I Yam
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 12-02-2023 at 8:27 AM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland