Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Dewalt 12 inch clamps aren't quite 12 inches

My Dewalt 12 inch clamps aren't quite 12 inches

They measure about an 1/8" short, which is a problem as I am trying to clamp a 12" piece. Any suggestions?

If they have one, remove the stop plug at the end of the bar. If they don't, buy longer clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rutman View Post
    They measure about an 1/8" short, which is a problem as I am trying to clamp a 12" piece. Any suggestions?
    Hi Michael, they’re probably 300mm as opposed to 12”.

Regards, Rod

Doesn't seem like a complicated problem. Back in the day we just bought a piece of longer pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Doesn't seem like a complicated problem. Back in the day we just bought a piece of longer pipe.
    Even today. If the clamp isn't big enough, we buy longer ones.

What style clamp? Take off a plastic cap or two for your 1/8”

Blog Entries
    For certain Irwin clamps, they make a coupler. Take the fixed jaw off of two clamps and use the coupler to attach the bars. They’ve saved my bacon several times.

They are trigger clamps. I might be able to drill out the stop, but it isn’t a screw or something easy to remove.

300mm would be about the right size, but I could have sworn dewalt are 12” and not metric.

Shrinkflation???
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rutman View Post
    They are trigger clamps. I might be able to drill out the stop, but it isn’t a screw or something easy to remove.

300mm would be about the right size, but I could have sworn dewalt are 12” and not metric.
    It might be a roll pin.
    I have some older Irwin Quick clamps that are not convertible to spreader.
    I watched youtube video about converting the old Irwins.. the guy said to use a roll pin punch to pop out the pin.
    I used a 5mm size and it worked like a champ.. was able to convert some of my Irwins to spreaders.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    I'm with Rod. Return them and buy non-metric clamps . So many products use nominal dimensions to get around having to make products to sell to we stubborn imperialists. I'm OK when they say 250mm / 6" because then I know it is "about" one or the other.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'm with Rod. Return them and buy non-metric clamps . So many products use nominal dimensions to get around having to make products to sell to we stubborn imperialists. I'm OK when they say 250mm / 6" because then I know it is "about" one or the other.
    Maybe they did say it?

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dwht8...-trigger-clamp
    Chris

So now we are complaining about the precision of the advertised length of clamps? Christian has it right, it's 300mm with the roll pin in the bar and 12" or 304.8mm with the roll pin out.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'm OK when they say 250mm / 6" because then I know it is "about" one or the other.
    But you should still be skeptical about that because it should be 150mm/6" (actually slightly less than 6", but...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maybe you could make the project 11-7/8" instead of 12". That might be the easiest way out.