Thread: Project: Simple Ash Eating Table for Daughter's Studio Apartment

Project: Simple Ash Eating Table for Daughter's Studio Apartment

A while back, our older daughter asked for a new eating table for her studio apartment. The table she's been using for not quite five years now was a very old, white melamine Ikea table from when the company opened their first US store in Plymouth Meeting PA in the mid-1980s. It belonged to Professor Dr SWMBO before I met her and was her kitchen table in the small, basement apartment we fondly referred to as "Spider Land" at the time we found each other. Over the years it was used as a craft table, a potting table and to take up space in storage up above my old shop. But it was free when darling daughter moved to her own place. While serviceable, the proportions were not ideal for the studio apartment and she asked for a narrower and longer table; big enough for two people to eat side by side. And that's what she got.

I originally planned to make square, tapered legs and an apron and actually milled up some material for that, but we mutually decided that steel legs would be more in line with the style of other furniture already in place. The material is ash milled off our old property...a nice connection and one that sadly will be hard to repeat in the future because all the ash around here is now dead. Finish is Rubio Monocoat. I chose morning mist (grey) in anticipating getting the grey look of other furniture, but the ash was so hard that the effect wasn't close to that intent and was uneven. Given I wasn't happy, I chose to sand it back and that surprisingly resulted in a very rustic look with the grey remaining in the grain. So a second coat of "pure" went on to get a very nice look. It's different than the weathered greys in the apartment (floors, barn door and some furniture) but still works nicely. Because I'm "that way", I put a small, black resin inlay on one corner as a special feature that darling daughter really likes. So does her cat, Harry. Supposedly. LOL

While I normally post involved "how I did it" threads for my projects, I'm not going to do that here because of it ending up being just a simple slab top. There's one 20" wide board in the middle (that I actually split to be able to flatten and thickness with my FS-350 and glued back together nearly invisibly) and two narrower boards on the edges that came out of a different board. Dimensions are 1370mm (54") wide and 610mm (24") deep. Thickness is 25mm (1"). It was a nice, low-key project with a "willing customer" and an opportunity to finally use Rubio's finish.

IMG_6023.jpg IMG_6107.jpg IMG_6108.jpg IMG_6109.jpg

TiaTableInPlace.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice. The stain did come out nice.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    While I normally post involved "how I did it" threads for my projects, I'm not going to do that here because of it ending up being just a simple slab top. There's one 20" wide board in the middle (that I actually split to be able to flatten and thickness with my FS-350 and glued back together nearly invisibly) and two narrower boards on the edges that came out of a different board. Dimensions are 1370mm (54") wide and 610mm (24") deep. Thickness is 25mm (1"). It was a nice, low-key project with a "willing customer" and an opportunity to finally use Rubio's finish.
    That table top is beautiful Jim. The grain match is dead on. I always like a family connection to the piece.

I'm also looking for an excuse to work with RM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Brian, the Rubio is remarkably easy to work with. You can buy a small sample size (which will actually do a big project because you use so little) on Amazon from the Rubio Store for about $35 or so. It's a great way to test it out on a small project. The Morning Mist color I used on this was purchased that way. I did opt for a larger setup for the Natural as I suspect it will get a lot of use.
    --

I like it ,especially the vertical grain. But I consider it 54 inches long and 24 inches wide.
    And that ain’t no eating table if you put ashes on it !
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 11-15-2023 at 7:13 PM.

Those legs look good with the table. Wood legs with aprons might have looked clunky with a small table like that, IMO.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Jim, I knew you'd like RM once you used it. It's just stupid simple to use, very durable, and easy to repair if needed. The one, and large, downside I've found is that product life is very short once you open the container. I've tried backfilling with Bloxygen and that didn't help. I haven't tried pouring it into a smaller container and/or putting it in the freezer, but that would be my next move. For what it costs, it's a tough pill to swallow when some of it goes bad in the can.

John

Blog Entries
    Looks great...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Those legs look good with the table. Wood legs with aprons might have looked clunky with a small table like that, IMO.
    That was one of the things that pushed me to suggest to darling daughter that we go with the metal legs...I already could see that the "chunky" issue was going to be a problem even after tapering. The legs were only about $55 off Amazon so it was essentially a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Jim, I knew you'd like RM once you used it. It's just stupid simple to use, very durable, and easy to repair if needed. The one, and large, downside I've found is that product life is very short once you open the container. I've tried backfilling with Bloxygen and that didn't help. I haven't tried pouring it into a smaller container and/or putting it in the freezer, but that would be my next move. For what it costs, it's a tough pill to swallow when some of it goes bad in the can.

John
    Yea, I like it. And thanks for the heads up on the shelf life. If I find that to be an issue, I'll just buy the "sample" sizes like I did for the Morning Mist color. The cost is higher per oz, but lower than the cost of throwing it away for sure.
    --

Never heard of a table that eats ash! :-)

Nice looking table. I’m sure your daughter will enjoy it for a long time.

That finish looks great. You could have gone through a lot of test pieces trying to get that kind of effect, so getting it on accident is some good luck!

Blog Entries
    That looks nice. The stain highlights the grain with real depth. The kitty is a very nice touch.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Never heard of a table that eats ash! :-)
    --

Not sure if it would work with RM, but I’ve had good luck with the Stop-Loss Bags for other finish material. That said, last evening I walked out into the shop and found about a pint of Seal Grip had eaten through the can and dripped down a couple shelves. What a mess

Beautiful Jim, simple is best with a chunk of ash like that! The stain/finish is a nice choice for that slab!