Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for someone with a Shaper Origin in / around PHL

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    This is getting to be a funny thread. A few years ago I asked what everyone thought about the Shaper Origin. Universally, everyone said it was too expensive for what it could do. Now it seems like everyone wants one. Maybe it was too expensive back then for what it could do, but as someone said, it can do so much more now as the product accessories have grown around it.

John
    I'll say that for me, I couldn't even envisage needing what it was capable of, let alone would it be easy enough to use when it came out. As I've seen more videos, and spent a few hundred dollars getting templates cut at a local sign shop with a CNC, I realize...maybe I do need it? I think it was that ENCurtis video on YouTube where he inlayed the plane stops in his workbench that made me say "Fine, I guess i DO need it." LOL

John, I believe they are now on the third version of Shaper Origin and the refinements came from all the folks that did jump on the bandwagon. It's become a pretty respectable way to do precision work in a portable way. It's "just a router" in some respects at first glance, but the fact that it has the motive mechanisms onboard that can read the design files and make the tooling follow the design exactly, even when it's being pushed around by human hands is pretty remarkable. It certainly doesn't replace machines like your OneFinity and my Camaster, but for "the things it does", it's the bee's knees.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    John, I believe they are now on the third version of Shaper Origin and the refinements came from all the folks that did jump on the bandwagon. It's become a pretty respectable way to do precision work in a portable way. It's "just a router" in some respects at first glance, but the fact that it has the motive mechanisms onboard that can read the design files and make the tooling follow the design exactly, even when it's being pushed around by human hands is pretty remarkable. It certainly doesn't replace machines like your OneFinity and my Camaster, but for "the things it does", it's the bee's knees.
    No argument from me.

John

Well it's funny reading this thread, I have most of the tools mentioned here. Had the Domino for 10+ years, PantoRouter for 2 years, Infinity for about 18 months and a Gen One Shaper Origin since early 2020 (I had to do something with the COVID stimulus checks) and then added the workstation when it became available.

I used it quite a lot until I got the OneFinity.

For most M&T's, the Pantorouter is my go to, even though I also have a PM719T. For CNC stuff, the OneFinity get's the call first.

For joints, where I don't want to use the Pantorouter, the Domino gets used.

Want to buy my Shaper Origin?