Thread: Veneer Table

Veneer Table

I need to re-veneer an antique table (see similar table pic) and I need to know how to do it. I dont think contact cement will work because it would leave a gap on the edge. I was thinking of carpenters glue, pressing it and then using a router to rework the edge again. The veneer I have is real wood, no backing.
    keil.jpg

Do not use contact cement. The problem you'll face is how to press it. If you can't take the top off - which would allow you to put it in a vacuum bag - I'd make a caul, a piece of plywood a bit larger than the table top. You want your veneer to be larger than the table top because it can shift slightly as you put everything together. There are many good veneer glues, but I've used plain old white glue successfully.

Roll glue on the substrate - no glue on the veneer. Lay the veneer and use blue tape on the edges to hold it in place. Next, put some plastic over the veneer. Ideally, you'd like something flexible, like cork or heavy cloth on top of the plastic so that there are no gaps in the pressure. Then put the caul on. Lay as much weight as reasonable on top of the caul, evenly distributed. Bags of sand might work.

Leave it in press overnight - that's more than needed but better to be safe. Now, you'll have to trim the edges to take the veneer back. A router might work, but it depends on the situation. Otherwise, a sanding block can be used to bring the veneer back to the edge if it just sticks out a small amount.

Good luck.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    is there veneer on the table now? If so, have you removed it? What is the edge? Veneered or a moulding? Lots of information is needed before providing advice on how to proceed.