Thread: Chair Finishing

Chair Finishing

Hey all, I am building a second Morris chair. On the first, I sprayed lacquer and it turned out great. But with it getting cold in the northeast, I'm not sure spraying lacquer will be the best option now.

I've tried the Maloof oil / poly / thinner thing, and it feels too plastic. I've done the Waterlox, and it looks great, but protection seems minimal. What do you think would be a good hand applied finish that feels good and offers at least decent protection?

Gracias in advance!

Blog Entries
    I am devoted to Minwax polyurethane. But you as point out it can feel a little plastic. Dad always carried on with lacquer when it was cool as long as the humidity was low and some source of heat was available for part of the drying time. My mental images of Morris chairs include Jimmie Rodgers sitting by a log fire.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-13-2023 at 10:16 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Waterlox is incredibly durable, far more so than any uncatalyzed lacquer. I think you should reconsider Waterlox. Follow the directions and enjoy an easy to apply, beautiful, and durable finish.

John

Oil based finishes are also affected by temperature. But this might be a good opportunity for you to try one of the hardwax oil products like Rubio Monocoat or Odies, etc. Apply them in the shop, but bring the project into the warmth to cure for a couple of days. Odor is minimal and the application couldn't be easier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Oil based finishes are also affected by temperature. But this might be a good opportunity for you to try one of the hardwax oil products like Rubio Monocoat or Odies, etc. Apply them in the shop, but bring the project into the warmth to cure for a couple of days. Odor is minimal and the application couldn't be easier.
    Those are good option, too, Jim. I'm not sure about Odie's but RM has zero VOC so you can safely use it indoors, and it will cure a lot faster if you do.

John