Thread: Threshold/Sill for 2" thick door

Threshold/Sill for 2" thick door

Good Morning, As I have posted prior I am building a custom exterior door. The door (laminated quarter sawn White Oak) is 2" thick. I am now thinking of sourcing or building a threshold/sill for it. Any ideas on the approach for a threshold/sill to accommodate the 2" thickness of this door? The door will be installed in Maine and will have to be exposed to the weather until spring when a porch will be completed offering some cover from the weather. Thanks, Jack

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-11-2023 at 8:08 AM.

I'm not sure what kind of problem a 2" thick door presents for a sill. Regular exterior doors are 1-3/4" so another 1/4" won't make much difference. I have made and installed one here that is 4-1/4" thick. I usually make the top of the sill flush with the floor inside and the threshold takes care of clearance for the bottom of the door. White Oak has been my most used wood to make sills from. I always used the thinner of the choices for thresholds.

I built new custom lake spec houses for 33 years and never used any kind of prehung door. I have made some that swing out, rather than the normal in swinging, and they're easier to seal from weather.

I would use an adjustable threshold with a thermal break. The adjustable cap allows you to accommodate a less than perfect installation and/or any shifting of the building. It's also, pretty much maintenance free. The thermal break is important for those of us who live where it gets really cold to avoid frost forming on the inside and, in the worst case, welding the door to the threshold until the ice melts. If you want an all-wood solution, then white oak would be my choice.

John

An out swinging door must push snow and leaves in those seasons, and will drag in a bit of same on closing. Not the best way to keep the sill clean and dry.

Yes, I never think about having to push snow. Our out swinging side entry door is inside a screened porch, so didn't think about leaves either.

John,
    I wonder if you have an example of where I can look for an adjustable threshold with a thermal break. I have looked around a bit on the web and not sure if I am finding the correct product. The 2" thick door is what is giving me pause. Most of the products I see are for doors between 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" thick doors. I am contemplating using one of these and pulling towards the outside of the door. I think I should be able to find products for a 2" thick door but have not been successful as of yet. Thanks, Jack

I think a threshold for a regular 1-3/4 door would work fine. It won't matter about the extra 1/4" of door to the inside. I beveled the bottom of entry doors ever so slightly so it compresses the seal in the threshold as it closes.