Thread: Housekeeping the Hardware

Housekeeping the Hardware

Many things collect in the shop and require an occasional purge. A couple years ago I realized that the box where excess washers are tossed was ready. Since I often find the one or few washers needed it has been a good investment of space but I almost never use lock washers. It had become 60% lock washers. That purge was excellent. It makes finding the needed items much easier.

Last year the box with excess wood screws got the treatment. Anything that used a flat head screwdriver and lots of unlikely others went to the recycling bin. Neither of these purges has left me with any regrets so yesterday the bucket of bolts was lightened to the tune of similar criteria. That leaves a box of mixed nails for some future day.

Its a good fealing. Very cleansing. We have a 5,000' warehouse filled with crap. Every other month or so I get tired of sititng at my desk and spend an afternoon tossing oddball stuff and any rusted/damaged pipe fittings. As well as organize.

This Fall, I spent the first hour in the shop every morning organizing something, fixing something, and throwing something away. It made a world of difference and I'm close to knowing where everything is.