Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need hat / cap to protect bald head

Need hat / cap to protect bald head

I bump my head all the time, tearing the skin on the top.
    Drives my wife nuts, and I'm fed up with it too.
    The usual peaked caps or baseball caps don't protect the skin well enough, so I'm looking for something with more protection.

If it looks well, that's a bonus, as I'll likely just wear it around everywhere.

thanks, Mark

Look up "bump caps". They're intended to do exactly what you want. Most of them look pretty industrial, but some don't.

I had eyelid reduction surgery ~10 years ago, the head bumping has been a lot more infrequent then it used to be.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Rather than a bump cap, look for a "bump cap insert". This could be put into any ball cap, or stocking cap etc. count me in the same group, if there is not a sore spot on my head I must be sick

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    I feel your pain..........I am a cue ball my daughter calls me shiner been there since my early 20's. It Is amazing how much pain can be imparted even to the hardest head with even the slightest bump.
    Those of you who have a top mop will not understand how even the smallest amount of hair on top will give you an early warning of impending pain from contact and allow you to mitigate of avoid completely the contact. Sailors and ship builders even with a full head of hair knew this and wore hats with pompoms on them to protect them from bumping their heads in tight spaces or when the seas were rough.
    Your best bet if you like baseball style caps is to get a STRUCTURED cap.
    These are the style caps with a stiff buckrum (front of the cap) and typically sit high above the top of your head relative to a fitted or slump style cap.
    Often known as trucker caps they ride high and typically have a mesh back. These are relatively cheap hats .
    The pics here are some examples.
    calabrese55
    11042-OvDrbGnTn-1-C115OvDrbGnTnFlatFront-337W.jpg

structured cap.jpg
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

I found out that with typical ball caps with mesh sides and back, my head sunburns through the hat. I've gone to wearing the authentic MLB team caps, which are fully solid, but not adjustable, so I have to buy the correct size for my head. They work better in rainy weather for keeping my head dry, too.

The typical flat cap is made of very thick material and would provide good bump protection. But they are only good for winter wear. Too hot for summer! (If you're not familiar with a flat cap, Google "Peaky Blinders Cap".)

I wear a hat of some sort year round. A fitted ball cap, mesh flatcap, or summer fedora in the heat and a wool ascot or watch cap in the cold. A ball cap is decent scalp protection excepting the button on top that acts like a center punch if you bang it. DAMHIKT. Outdoor research makes a nice thin fleece beanie cap that is comfy and protective, albeit a little warm sometimes.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I would think a typical Donegal tweed cap would do the trick, and lots of styles are available.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

For winter wear, I just ran across a Milwaukee skull cap type that is quite thick. I will wear it this winter. I have been shaving my head for 25+ yrs now and we share the same experience. It’s just the way it is.

I ordered an Irish tweed type cap. It's a start, we'll see how it goes.
    All the bump caps are thick PVC looking, and wouldn't be effortlessly comfortable to wear, so of course I won't have it on when I hit my head next.
    Thanks for all the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    I bump my head all the time, tearing the skin on the top.
    Drives my wife nuts, and I'm fed up with it too.
    ...thanks, Mark
    What are you bumping it on? How low are your ceilings?
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Why not just cut to the chase and get one of these. It will keep you from crashing into something up in the air and the added plus understand every time you have a great idea the propeller spins faster all by itself .
    calabrese55

prop hat.jpg
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

If you prefer function over form, pick up a bike riding (bicycle) helmet.

Light and comfortable enough to do heavy physical work in.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

In my case the propeller will remain static as a scarecrow.