Thread: Hold Heet Glue Pot wanted

Hold Heet Glue Pot wanted

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've posted here, but after a decase of health problems I'm back to the shop in a limited capacity. I've started doing some work on guitars, so I'm looking for a Hold Heet glue pot. I'd prefer a 1 quart size, but I'll take what I can get. So, does anyone have one for sale?
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Brent,

If you can't find a Hold Heat look at a wax warmer, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

You can calibrate it to the temperature you want and the price is reasonable. Available as singles or doubles where you can have your glue jar in one side and hot water in the other for cleanup.

I picked up a couple when my Hold Heat died. Very happy with them.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Thanks Cliff. I've been looking at wax pots. I'm glad to hear from someone who has used them. The one you linked to looks interesting.
    It seems to have a better temmp range for glue than others I've seen that start at 120-130.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Thanks Tom. A few to look over there.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

I just saw a glue pot in the new Lee Valley Christmas catalog
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Brantley View Post
    I just saw a glue pot in the new Lee Valley Christmas catalog
    I saw that one, but thought it must be a joke. It holds 1 ounce of glue. That's barely enough to get your glue brush saturated, assuming you can even get it in to the tiny thing. Fine for people making miniatures, I guess, but don't expect it to be adequate if you're hammer veneering a table top. Running out of glue in mid-assembly is a Bad Thing. I enjoy having my Hold-Heet pot on my bench; it's earned a place among the venerable tools in the shop. It doesn't do much, but it does it perfectly. Mine's old enough to have the copper inner pot which looks nice. A plastic wax warmer just wouldn't be the same.

Some use crock pots. Works ! Remember, in olden days they used fire for heating the glue . You can get the glue in different strengths.

My first use of hide glue was a cobbled up double boiler on top of the stove in the kitchen. It worked fine. Once you get a feel for how runny you need it, you don't need to bother with a thermometer.

Different perspectives for different folks. I think making an ounce of glue at a time is fine. I build acoustic guitars, and I don’t need that much glue all at once. I own one of the Lee Valley double boilers. It’s handy. I also use a 3 ounce double boiler made by MusiCaravan (no longer in production). Making enough glue to put into a Hold Heet would be way too much glue for me.