Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flattening the Neanderthal way….

Flattening the Neanderthal way….

….is good cardio.

I’ve been sitting on this 6/4 live edge Walnut slab for years. At 58” long and almost 29” at the crotch end it’s just perfect for a desktop for my bride. She likes a compact desk for a laptop and a couple desktop accessories. Once finished this will be a beaut. I spent about an hour in the shop this morning with my #5 Jack and #7 jointer truing the top up. I still have a little bit to go. What a workout!

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Be looking for how it turns out.

Blog Entries
    Looks great.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes Rob, no need for an exercise walk today!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Yes Rob, no need for an exercise walk today!
    Actually we did that right before lunch. I got my upper body workout and got my steps in.

That’s a nice piece of walnut.
    You almost needed a bigger bench or a bench stretcher

Good Luck
    Aj

That is a beautiful piece of walnut. Every time I do that, my watch claims I've gone for a bike ride.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Good start. How do you plan on doing the support? Legs or drawers?

Well, for sure, you used up a lot of elbow grease! am not close to ready for some thing like this...

robo hippy

My desk is much the same, beautiful Black Walnut slab feather crotch with a live edge carved conservatively to provide a little interest in front, and a straight edge on the back to complement it. Lots of cardio involved, more than folks realize until they see you do it. Been many years, but it still wow's 'em, lol...
    Gonna have a side table of a similar Black Cherry slab I recently acquired with a remarkably similar feather feature which is intended to hold my printer, in/out box, etc. That will free up a lot of desk space, and add significant visual appeal, I hope...

I decided to open the laptop this morning instead of my phone. That board needs to be seen in larger format. I couldn't stop looking and my imagination ran wild. My SIL and I just finished a bar from a much bigger slab like that and boy does it look awesome. Outside of finishing, there's not much more to do but try to build a beautiful support for it. Can't wait to see how this comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    I decided to open the laptop this morning instead of my phone. That board needs to be seen in larger format. I couldn't stop looking and my imagination ran wild. My SIL and I just finished a bar from a much bigger slab like that and boy does it look awesome. Outside of finishing, there's not much more to do but try to build a beautiful support for it. Can't wait to see how this comes out.
    Larger format?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Good start. How do you plan on doing the support? Legs or drawers?
    Probably some metal hairpin legs. SWMBO wants to pick them out though.

Bigger screen

Well the top side is pretty much finished. I'm going to work the edges prior to truing up the bottom. I was hoping to find a large spokeshave to speed up the process but am managing with my Boggs shaves. Card scrapers are working too. Slow and steady wins the race.