Thread: Guest Room Side Tables

Blog Entries

Guest Room Side Tables

After some recent weekend guests left I was made aware by SWMBO that the guest room needs some bedside tables. The client wanted some light-looking little tables so we did a bit of back-of-a-bar-napkin design work. I used some lighter colored walnut that I kept skipping over for other projects. A bit or Transtint dye in the oil:varnish blend finish warmed it up.

Walnut, tiger maple drawer fronts and trim strips, and leopardwood pulls. This pic shows the pulls pretty well.

GRST (64).jpg

You can see that the drawer fronts are book matched in this pic.

GRST (69).jpg

They are 16" x 16" x 26" tall.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I love the design and the constrasting woods! Well done, Glenn as we have come to expect from you!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great job on the side tables. I'm really impressed at how clean your shop is, also.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Lovely! Is there a slight curve to the legs?

Nice work.
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Thanks everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    . . . at how clean your shop is, also.
    As to the shop being clean, I do that out of self defense . When I get too involved I often set things nearby instead of where they go. Sooner or later I will be looking for a tool or slip or trip over something. That's my clue to stop for a moment and pick a few things up. It's so much easier to find your sliding bevel when it is hanging where it belongs as opposed to buried under curlies on the bench

– Samuel Butler

More nice work, Glenn, but I fear your future guests will find their accommodations so nice they won't want to leave. Three days and you're gone at my house!

John

Those are very nice. They are quite similar to the Thos Moser design I've used many times and adapted to various uses...pretty much timeless and worthy for so many situations! Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice tables Glen.

Blog Entries
    Very, very nice- love the contrasting wood choices! How do you use the trans tint-do you add it to Watco as initial coat or do you use other oil/varnish mix? Thanks as always for posting! Very inspirational!

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. @Mike Allen 1010 - My last few projects have used the same McCloskey Spar base. This happens as I use up what is open . Cabot's modified phenolic varnish was a favorite but is now unavailable to me. The McCloskey products have performed well at a good price point. This mix is McCloskey Spar, gloss:BLO:Mineral Spirits. I add the Transtint to this initial mix. I do run more Mineral Spirits in the initial coat to get good color penetration. I tend to run the final one or two coats heavier on the varnish to assure a consistent film build. I decant the base mix into smaller cups for these modifications just prior to application. This keeps the base finish consistent and gives me a good predictable result.

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Thanks everyone. @Mike Allen 1010 - My last few projects have used the same McCloskey Spar base. This happens as I use up what is open . Cabot's modified phenolic varnish was a favorite but is now unavailable to me. The McCloskey products have performed well at a good price point. This mix is McCloskey Spar, gloss:BLO:Mineral Spirits. I add the Transtint to this initial mix. I do run more Mineral Spirits in the initial coat to get good color penetration. I tend to run the final one or two coats heavier on the varnish to assure a consistent film build. I decant the base mix into smaller cups for these modifications just prior to application. This keeps the base finish consistent and gives me a good predictable result.
    The tables are very nice... I have similar all curly maple end table to hold my remotes....but no drawer. Did you put the vanish on the maple with the transtint dye? If so, there must be just a small amount of dye?
    Last edited by Christian Hawkshaw; 11-09-2023 at 5:24 PM.
    Chris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Hawkshaw View Post
    The tables are very nice... I have similar all curly maple end table to hold my remotes....but no drawer. Did you put the vanish on the maple with the transtint dye? If so, there must be just a small amount of dye?
    The drawer fronts and trim are clear shellac only. The maple and the shellac will amber up a bit over time.

– Samuel Butler