Thread: I want waterborne poly with the amber tint of oil

Blog Entries

I want waterborne poly with the amber tint of oil

We are going to put up osb on the interior walls of our new garage. My daughter wants the amber tint of some oil based polyurethane that I have. I want the convenience of a water based finish. I found something called Amber Plus for waterborn poly.

https://procoatinc.com/products/pro-...mber-plus-8-oz

Im only going to put one or two coats on about 20 sheets of osb. If I have to mess with oil, I値l only do one coat. With water, I値l sand and do a second coat.

suggestions?

Consider the Minwax Oil Modified Waterborne polyurethane. Drys quickly, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Target Coatings EM2000 looks great with a nice amber glow. Not sure what the polymer is, but with added crosslinker it's quite tough. Another approach is to spray a base coat of shellac in amber or garnet to get the color you want and then topcoat with a clear poly like the Target EM9300 or General Finishes High Performance.

I never thought it would happen, but I've become a convert to WB finishes, much accelerated by learning about the world beyond Minwax and Varathane.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Consider the Minwax Oil Modified Waterborne polyurethane. Drys quickly, too.
    This ^^. It should be available locally, and it sprays great.

Another option is to buy the cheapest WB poly you can find and add Transtint Honey Amber dye, or the product you referenced, to it to give you the degree of amber you want.

John

Blog Entries
    I’m a fan of wb too. My favorite is Vermont Natural Coatings Polywhey. There’s a sort of buttery feel that I like. I also like it when I tap my fingernails on it and it feels like porcelain.

this project is just osb and a garage wall. So other than the look from a distance, the bar isn’t very high.

Blog Entries
    You may want to reconsider OSB on your garage walls. Unless you purchase the fire rated OSB, it will not meet fire code for use on your walls.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    What I知 seeing in a google search suggests that I知 ok. It痴 a detached garage with living quarters above. There痴 sheet rock on the garage ceiling and surrounding the stairwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    What I’m seeing in a google search suggests that I’m ok. It’s a detached garage with living quarters above. There’s sheet rock on the garage ceiling and surrounding the stairwell.
    I doubt Falls Church is unzoned so it might be wise to check with the code enforcement people. Having living quarters above might change things.

Both code and common sense dictate a firewall between garage and living space. If you want OSB then nail up a couple layers of drywall underneath it to give you the fire rating, or use fire rated plywood (don't know if fire rated OSB exists)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Both code and common sense dictate a firewall between garage and living space. If you want OSB then nail up a couple layers of drywall underneath it to give you the fire rating, or use fire rated plywood (don't know if fire rated OSB exists)
    The same would apply to the ceiling with living space above for fire protection. I imagine putting two layers of 1/2" drywall on a ceiling would be a significant challenge, at least the first few times.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The same would apply to the ceiling with living space above for fire protection. I imagine putting two layers of 1/2" drywall on a ceiling would be a significant challenge, at least the first few times.
    Don't do it without a drywall lift! I long ago decided that hanging drywall or blueboard was task I was no longer going to DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    This ^^. It should be available locally, and it sprays great.

Another option is to buy the cheapest WB poly you can find and add Transtint Honey Amber dye, or the product you referenced, to it to give you the degree of amber you want.

John
    That's a benefit to having Transtint, you can pick the degree of amber or any other tone.