Thread: MiniMax MM16 switch problem

MiniMax MM16 switch problem

I've got a new to me MM16 bandsaw. When I got the saw, the switch wasn't working. After blowing some dust out of it, and generally fiddling with it, I got it working. However, after about 15 hours of use, the switch started malfuncting again. (The start button didn't have any tension on it, and pressed in with no effect.) For awhile, I was able to make the switch work by tapping on it, and getting it to reset, but today that stopped working.

The switch in question is an
    AEG Mbs 25
    I've done a little digging around and it looks like it's no longer in production.

I'm wondering if there's a way to rehabilitate the switch, or barring that, if there's a source for a replacement switch. I'm planning to call SCM Group in the morning to see if they carry a one.

Bill unfortunately the switch on the MM bandsaws is one of the few Achilles heals on the saw, I have been fortunate that my 20 year old MM16 is still sporting it’s original AEG switch.

I think some of the information from this link about MM bandsaw switches may help, https://www.solowoodworker.com/mm/switch.html.

Bill, this story goes way back... I dealt with it in 2007 and here are the details.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....hlight=bandsaw
    Unfortunately the MM people have probably changed since then but this should at least help point you in the right direction. I have had no problems with the non-AEG replacement switch...
    Good luck.

By the way, the replacement switch was a Klockner-Moeller PKZM01
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 11-02-2023 at 7:50 PM.

I had a similar problem. Rather than sourcing a direct replacement I installed a standard magnetic starter surface mounted on the bandsaw column.

Like this ? There are no spaces in mbs25.
    Three phase voltage and what FLA?
    https://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/AEG-MBS25.html
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-03-2023 at 11:51 AM.

By the way, the replacement switch was a Klockner-Moeller PKZM01
    https://www.klocknermoeller.com/pkzm01/index.htm
    Bill D
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-03-2023 at 2:11 PM. Reason: fied quote tagging

Ebay shows 75 hits for mbs25. Most are seperate parts. Maybe buy a complete one and switch coil and heaters from yours?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Like this ? There are no spaces in mbs25.
    Three phase voltage and what FLA?
    https://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/AEG-MBS25.html
    Bill D
    It would be extraordinarily unusual for an MM16 to be three phase. Depending on the year, it's either a 3.x hp single phase motor or a 4.8 single phase motor. My 2004 MM16 has the former.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am unaware of any three-phase MM16 ever being ordered for the US market. Simplest path would be to just order the OEM Eaton/Moellner switch. Aside from being stiff, the switch issues disappeared once Italy began using them.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

My saw is a 2003 MM16. Two years ago SCM still had the switch but it is expensive. invoice.jpg

So it is a three pole contactor with overloads. It is really a three phase unit only using only two poles. I suppose the extra pole is used for latching instead of adding an auxiliary contact block. It is probably a DIN mount standard size. Just match overload amps and coil volts
    Bill D

I had this same problem on my MM16, and ordered the switch replacement parts from the company and person cited below. They were very helpful with installation instructions as well...note it's a 3 part switch. I went ahead and replaced all 3 parts, and it's been fine since. I would contact them and send a picture of your switch, after you remove the dust cover. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Charo View Post
    I had this same problem on my MM16, and ordered the switch replacement parts from the company and person cited below. They were very helpful with installation instructions as well...note it's a 3 part switch. I went ahead and replaced all 3 parts, and it's been fine since. I would contact them and send a picture of your switch, after you remove the dust cover. Best of luck!
    . At: KMParts.com. I spoke with Tony Wolff