Thread: What does this connect to??

What does this connect to??

I bought this is as part of a package of extras from a turner and there was nothing that it would screw into in the group of items. It has male threads. It seems it would screw into some adapter either on the headstock or onto an adapter that goes in a chuck but there is no brand at all so I'm just looking for answers.
    The front width is 2" and the back threaded area is 1.58".
    It appears to be well made.
    Thanks for any help.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Tobias; 11-02-2023 at 2:43 PM. Reason: grammar

I’ve heard them called , “spur centers”

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I’ve heard them called , “spur centers”
    Thanks Mel, I know it's a spur center but what I am trying to find out is the identity of the part so I can see what is needed to use it. Hoping to find a brand or maker of the part.
    I have searched using many terms(including spur center) but have not found it yet.

Based on the second picture, it appears to be grooves rather than threads.
    If it is grooved it would clamp into a four jaw chuck. I seen pictures of this configuration, but don't have any for reference.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I'd say you are right, Tony. It isn't a Oneway or Nova but it may well grip enough in any jaws that are close to its diameter when almost closed. I use my Oneway but I can't say it's my go to spur drive but it does allow the chuck to stay on the lathe.

Pic 2 looks like a standard 60* thread to me.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Pic 2 looks like a standard 60* thread to me.
    If it is in fact a thread why doesn't the first and last "thread" have a starting taper or bevel? They would not be parallel would they?
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”

Henry Ford

Tony,
    I looked at it closely after seeing your response and you are right......it is a series of parallel grooves. Not threads. I guess I was just expecting that it was threads. I hope it is hard steel as I would worry about damaging the grooves when "cranking" down to secure it in a chuck. Am I overly concerned?
    Thanks for all the responses,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Tony,
    I looked at it closely after seeing your response and you are right......it is a series of parallel grooves. Not threads. I guess I was just expecting that it was threads. I hope it is hard steel as I would worry about damaging the grooves when "cranking" down to secure it in a chuck. Am I overly concerned?
    Thanks for all the responses,
    Jim
    No experience with one, but I would presume it was designed to take the pressure.

Henry Ford

I believe the jaws on my one-way stronghold chuck would hit right into that spur center as they have the parallel groves on the inside

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    Based on the second picture, it appears to be grooves rather than threads.
    If it is grooved it would clamp into a four jaw chuck. I seen pictures of this configuration, but don't have any for reference.
    Yup I agree those are not threads and here is a related video on the subject, different than your center but the idea is the same
    calabrese55
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Ocgiwhv78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpSkLJfsXmA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYLwMjZhcXs
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    I believe the jaws on my one-way stronghold chuck would hit right into that spur center as they have the parallel groves on the inside
    I measured the grooves in the #2 jaws on my Stronghold and the peaks are about 2.4mm apart, center of peak to center of next peak, roughly just under 0.1". Talon #2 are the same. So if the groove troughs on the spur are that size it would fit.
    Last edited by Bill Howatt; 11-03-2023 at 12:42 PM. Reason: clarified peak measurement

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I bought this is as part of a package of extras from a turner and there was nothing that it would screw into in the group of items. It has male threads. It seems it would screw into some adapter either on the headstock or onto an adapter that goes in a chuck but there is no brand at all so I'm just looking for answers.
    The front width is 2" and the back threaded area is 1.58".
    It appears to be well made.
    Thanks for any help.
    Jim
    Is the center point fixed or does it move with pressure? This looks like a steb center to me. Releasing tailstock pressure slightly disengages the drive spurs while keeping the tuening centered on the point so you don't have to stop the lathe to stop the turning to check something. Adding pressure re-engauges the drive spurs. If it's not that, then I'd guess just a simple drive center.