Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Rockler Cambridge MA store closing.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Boston MA
    Posts
    89

    Rockler Cambridge MA store closing.

    Got this email today. I didn't get over there that often but I started going there in the 1980s when was just called The Woodworking Store. I suspect the long-time owner wanted to retire but sad to see it go.

    Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 5.14.34 PM.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    65,504
    Always a sad thing. I suspect you're correct that the franchise owner wanted to move on and perhaps the business metrics were not supportive to someone else buying the franchise or maybe even external factors, such as a property lease, etc. It happens.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Always a sad thing. I suspect you're correct that the franchise owner wanted to move on and perhaps the business metrics were not supportive to someone else buying the franchise or maybe even external factors, such as a property lease, etc. It happens.
    No franchise owner. Corporate decision to close the location and entire team and manager is being let go.
    They were blindsided as store was believed to be doing well.

    Shame

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    65,504
    If true, that's sad, Edward. But there must be some business reason for the decision that's causing the action; maybe something not visible to the manager and employees if it was a corporate location as you mention.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  5. #5
    That's sad news for us area woodworkers and the staff. I can remember going in there for the first time c. 1985, and spent a lot of happy hours and some money there over the years. Even nowadays, it's a nice and handy alternative to getting everything online or driving up to Woodcraft in Woburn. . ...As for why they're closing, I have to wonder if perhaps their storefront, which they don't own, is slated for redevelopment. Single story retail blocks are an endangered species in Cambridge and Boston, given how much more valuable these properties can be as multistory residential and mixed use, especially in a prime location like Rockler occupies on Mass Ave. near the T. It's sort of amazing and wonderful that the Rockler store, the block they're in and some of the various small businesses along that stretch in North Cambridge have hung on as long as they have.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Mid West and North East USA
    Posts
    2,733
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thats unfortunate. I am surprised that the wood working store held out this long. The Boston area has changed so much. Home Depo did not exist during the years that I lived there. South Bay Home Depot is the busiest store I have ever been to. I dislike going there. Driving along Methadone Mile is very unpleasant. I guess cities are like rivers, the more they change the more they stay the same.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-04-2023 at 9:07 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

  7. #7
    A local news outlet has the story on why the Cambridge location is closing: Rockler has concluded the store is physically too small and limited in accessibility (a reference, I assume, to it lacking a big parking lot, since it's certainly convenient distance-wise to a big population) to support the full range of things and "great retail experience" the company aims to offer in its stores nationwide.

    https://www.cambridgeday.com/2023/11...s-in-business/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    2,689
    I thought surely my local Woodcraft was going away years ago. I saw "STORE CLOSING" signs in the window. When I asked the staff they were happy to tell me about the evil owner of the strip mall. He refused to repair the crumbling parking lot, update the look of the store fronts or even plow the snow. Of course, he was very keen to raise the rent again and again. Woodcraft and many other businesses punched out of that strip mall.

    Luckily, Woodcraft popped up in another strip mall nearby. I hope they can hang on. When I bought my SawStop, the manager told me they were selling a LOT of those. Likely they make more money on accessories and fasteners, but selling selling a lot of SawStops can't hurt.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Cambridge Vermont
    Posts
    2,269
    It was that long ago when the one in Salem moved down the street. I suspect that most people between the two now go to the tax free NH store. Also anyone who wants to avoid going too close to Boston. The NH store is easy to get to from 93. Never been to the Cambridge store but it looks like you have to travel a bit on city streets. If so I can see people driving a bit further to save a few bucks and not deal with as much traffic.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Mid West and North East USA
    Posts
    2,733
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    It was that long ago when the one in Salem moved down the street. I suspect that most people between the two now go to the tax free NH store. Also anyone who wants to avoid going too close to Boston. The NH store is easy to get to from 93. Never been to the Cambridge store but it looks like you have to travel a bit on city streets. If so I can see people driving a bit further to save a few bucks and not deal with as much traffic.
    The 2nd busiest Home Depot I have been to is the one in West Lebanon NH. The clientele is dominated by folks from Vermont taking advantage if no sales tax. We just paid the tax bill for a little NH property my wife recently took responsibility for and are a little taken aback by the amount. It is over twice what we pay in MO. We may need to move to NH to take advantage of no sales tax.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-25-2023 at 9:41 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Cambridge Vermont
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The 2nd busiest Home Depot I have been to is the one in West Lebanon NH. The clientele is dominated by folks from Vermont taking advantage if no sales tax. We just paid the tax bill for a little NH property my wife recently took responsibility for and are a little taken aback by the amount. It is over twice what we pay in MO. We may need to move to NH to take advantage of no sales tax.
    My sister lived in Nashua NH for a number of years. The southern part of the city is dominated by big box stores that are packed with people from Mass. This time of the year, black Friday, it's a nightmare to drive. I think it's why they moved north.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The 2nd busiest Home Depot I have been to is the one in West Lebanon NH. The clientele is dominated by folks from Vermont taking advantage if no sales tax. We just paid the tax bill for a little NH property my wife recently took responsibility for and are a little taken aback by the amount. It is over twice what we pay in MO. We may need to move to NH to take advantage of no sales tax.
    ... and no income tax (been in NH since '86)

    Yup, they gotta pay the state bills and build schools somehow, so it's pretty much property taxes and vehicle registration fees that pays for everything. Towns with the best schools have the highest taxes.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Mid West and North East USA
    Posts
    2,733
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Flesher View Post
    ... and no income tax (been in NH since '86)

    Yup, they gotta pay the state bills and build schools somehow, so it's pretty much property taxes and vehicle registration fees that pays for everything. Towns with the best schools have the highest taxes.
    The state liquor stores are also a source of revenue. I am impressed by the efficiency and thriftiness of the little township the in-laws property is in.
    Best Regards, Maurice

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Mid West and North East USA
    Posts
    2,733
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The state liquor stores are also a source of revenue. I am impressed by the efficiency and thriftiness of the little township the in-laws property is in.
    The lottery is another source of revenue for NH. NH has had a lottery for many years. I have never played the lottery. We do help kids have schools to go to in 4 different counties. It is time to pick just one.
    Best Regards, Maurice

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    2,689
    Apparently it's not enough for a business to make a profit. Here in the 21st century, a business or must make huge profits right now. Otherwise, it gets shut down.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •