Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good quality rechargeable flashlight

Looking for a good quality rechargeable flashlight

Anyone use a rechargeable flashlight? Looking for a bright unit for lighting distances? We have small units for closer work, but need something for 20ft+ thanks brian.
    Brian

Look at the offerings from Fenix. Incredibly bright lights, very robust. (Also very pricey.) The rechargeable headlamp I got from them is the best I've ever used, by a mile.

I gave a bunch for Christmas several years ago, and bought several for us off ebay. People still thank me for those flashlights. They were pretty cheap then, and we haven't lost one battery yet. Do a search on ebay for Cree 1000 LM 18650

There are some that are even brighter than 1000 lumens. We have a couple of those but even the 1000 lM ones go through a charge in 10 or 15 minutes and the stronger ones faster.

There are some brands that cost multiple times what the cheaper ones do, but I can't tell the difference in them.

The multi function switches are aggravating. Try to find one with a single function switch. Back when I bought ours there was a seller selling single function switches, so I bought those and changed out all the switches.

The 18650 is the battery size designation. These flashlights are small enough to fit in your pocket. We have one that's 2500 lumens and takes a bigger battery, but we rarely grab that one. Cree is the manufacturer of the bulb. We didn't get on good with their house LED's, but have never lost one of the flashlight ones.

If light output is the main consideration and size is down the list. Then look into what flashlight your battery provider makes. DeWalt, Milwaukee, Ryobi etc. There are some that reach way out there, price reflects how far out.

Costso had these on sale for about $30 and I bought four or five of them. They come with a removable rechargeable battery, or you can put standard (or rechargeable) C- cells in them. The light is bright and a charge lasts a long time. They have both a USB-A and USB-C port for charging them (the C port will charge faster). There are four small blue LEDs by the on/off switch to indicate the status of the charge.

You can adjust the size of the beam by turning the lens part of the flashlight. I would prefer if it adjusted to a smaller beam, but it's okay.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

my fav are the Supra Beams Lee used to sell,. Had two with one on charge while using one, the hands free is what I need. The beam could be focused to a point and shoot really far run time was good depending on full bright or not,. Lee stopped carrying them but they did email me back the company from Denmark and Lee likely has another model now and maybe hand held. Ive used the headlight so much over the years that ive worn out different aspects. Past they had three year warranty on them with Lee as well. VR3 was the model from memory they were not cheap but for my overall use over the years then for sure good value.

Olight. is a great bang for your buck flashlight. I have a dozen or so in all kinds of sizes and functions. They are rated by throw some of them have 100's of yards.

It depends what you plan on using it for

The seeker 4 is a bit large for daily pocket use but is 4500 lumen
    The baton 3 is great for in the pocket 1500 lumens 166 meter throw.

Most of their rechargables use a magnet that clips itself to the tailcap but some of the much cheaper ones use a usb

Brian if you end up going with olight I can email coupon 10 off 60 or 15 off 100

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Look at the offerings from Fenix. Incredibly bright lights, very robust. (Also very pricey.) The rechargeable headlamp I got from them is the best I've ever used, by a mile.
    Very nice, but pricey. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Costso had these on sale for about $30 and I bought four or five of them. They come with a removable rechargeable battery, or you can put standard (or rechargeable) C- cells in them. The light is bright and a charge lasts a long time. They have both a USB-A and USB-C port for charging them (the C port will charge faster). There are four small blue LEDs by the on/off switch to indicate the status of the charge.

You can adjust the size of the beam by turning the lens part of the flashlight. I would prefer if it adjusted to a smaller beam, but it's okay.

Mike
    Thanks Mike.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Brian if you end up going with olight I can email coupon 10 off 60 or 15 off 100
    Thank you George. Very generous. I think the one at Costco will work for us. Won't use it a lot, but when you need it... Brian
    Brian

I found the brand name of the ones I bought several years ago. We have these is all sorts of places to have one handy when needed. These are also the ones I gave as gifts. This particular ad doesn't look like it includes batteries and charger, but those go pretty cheap on ebay too. 18650 batteries.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12154077618...Bk9SR8CdsL7xYg

I think I ordered a couple of dozen from China back then. This is a typical package with batteries and charger. The flashlight only holds one battery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16628840235...Bk9SR5rj677xYg
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-01-2023 at 1:32 PM.

For small flashlights to put around the house, I bought these. They're surprisingly bright and use just four AAA cells. Price isn't too bad, either.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've been happy with this energizer 1000 lumen ipx7 waterproof flashlight for spot lighting over 20'. I bought it about 3 yrs ago for about $13 after a $12 discount coupon on Amazon but it doesn't seem to be available there now.

Amazon.com: ENERGIZER Rechargeable LED Flashlight S1000, Easy Carry Handle, Ultra Bright 1000 Lumens, IPX7 Waterproof LED Spotlight Flashlight, Rugged Metal Body (USB Cable Included) : Tools & Home Improvement
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

John Jordan (hope you are doing well, sir) recommended Fenix LD22 a few years ago. i got one and became a believer. I have since gotten at least 6 more and gave as gifts to my wife, my kids and sons-in-law. The most recent version (2.0) has a rechargeable (via USB) battery and 800 lumens. About the size of a cigar or Magic Marker. I keep one clipped to my work pants all the time. About $60 but well worth it.

Previously i have had lights ranging from the the big ole Maglight to Lee Valley LEDs to Duracell and anything Costco has sold in the past 15 years.. The Fenix beats them all for my purposes. Cry once and then smile each time you use it.