Thread: Need Shipping Advice

Need Shipping Advice

I’m about to order a machine from Rockler and I’m trying to decide whether to order it in-store and have it shipped to the store or just order it online and have it shipped to my house? It weighs 85lbs and is a Jet machine. Which will be the safest way to ship it? Both methods will be free.

Personally, I always like to have someone else responsible for something heavy and expensive getting to my house. If you have it shipped to the store, you are responsible for any damage getting it to and into your home. If a shipping company damages it getting it to your house, while it may be an inconvenience, they are responsible for replacing it.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    Personally, I always like to have someone else responsible for something heavy and expensive getting to my house. If you have it shipped to the store, you are responsible for any damage getting it to and into your home. If a shipping company damages it getting it to your house, while it may be an inconvenience, they are responsible for replacing it.
    I wouldn't completely agree with this statement. An 85 lbs machine is not that heavy. It's light enough for either UPS or FedEx, so the delivery company will likely just leave it on your porch. If it's damaged during shipping, the seller may help with replacement. I would think Rockler would be pretty good on this, so you are probably fine either way. It really depends on the vendor. They may just send you to the original manufacturer (i.e. Jet) for a product warranty -- which can be like pulling teeth at times.

The really big machines that come shipped freight and require lift-gate and pallet jack can be refused upon delivery if anything is severely damaged. Or documented on the packing slip that you sign (with a photo of the documented packing slip and all damage.

I would have it shipped to the store. If there’s damage on the crate there’s a good chance you can inspect it at the store then decide if you want to keep it or walk away. The Rockler store near me have a great staff and I trust them to help anyway they can.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I'd also be on the fence, but given it's such a small, lightweight machine, I think I'd consider the in-store pickup. You can check i over and they will help you load it. Now that can be dangerous because, well...there's the temptation to buy more stuff, but heck...GAS is normal. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Two options:

1. Convenience: ship to house. No need to go pick it up.
    2. Acquisition: ship to store. Opportunity to buy more stuff.

Mike

When you order from Rockler, does the order go directly to Jet or do you then have to wait for the Manager to place the order? Is shipping time the same for both? I had an experience where I was doing an exchange and the Manager kept forgetting to place the order, which delayed things for a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    When you order from Rockler, does the order go directly to Jet or do you then have to wait for the Manager to place the order? Is shipping time the same for both? I had an experience where I was doing an exchange and the Manager kept forgetting to place the order, which delayed things for a couple of weeks.
    That's easy, just ask the manager at your store.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    A lot of times these items will be drop-shipped directly from the manufacturer (i.e. Jet). It depends on how the reseller determines distribution/warehouse strategy.

Blog Entries
    Successful shipping of hefty items seems to be somewhat geographical. What have been your experiences with home delivery in the past? I am near the coast and many items either come right down the coast or straight from the docks. Last mile delivery by Cletus Trukin' via an old pickup truck may not do so well. I have had only a couple of heavy items damaged and both were local deliveries(???).

Lunchbox planers can weigh more than 85lbs and are schlepped around the job site. However, this can still be pretty hefty for the FedEx driver. Just be sure to carefully inspect the item and take pics before opening. Another option is to require a signature for delivery and inspect the thing before you sign. Be brutal on your inspection. The times I have not I have paid later in time and inconvenience.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Another option is to require a signature for delivery and inspect the thing before you sign.
    Even doing a "signature required" shipment is not a guarantee that FedEx/UPS will knock and force a signature. Even after COVID lock downs, both UPS and FedEx will continue to just drop boxes on my porch even though "signature is required" and documented that "A INAMI" received package. I think I had 1 in 12 packages where the FedEx guy actually knocked on my door and confirmed who I was.

At least one consideration for me would be how far away is the store, and am I likely to be in that area for any other reason?
    If this is going to chew up 1.5 hours of my time (plus some amount of gas driving to/from there), I'd be more inclined to have it shipped to my house.
    If the store is a 5 minute drive from my house, going there to pick up at the store is going to be fairly convenient - and in fact might be more convenient if I'm otherwise required to be at the house when they want to deliver it.