Thread: Keeping dust collection flex hose from hanging up on router table top

Question Keeping dust collection flex hose from hanging up on router table top

Hi all-

I don't think I've seen this come up, which makes me think I'm doing something wrong. I have a 2.5" flex hose for dust collection on my router table fence The hose goes straight back and hangs off the edge of the table. Invariably as the fence moves forward and back, the table edge catches between the ribs of the hose. I have to keep lifting the hose up to free it. I've tried wrapping tape around that section of the hose to make it effectively smoother. This helps a little but it still gets stuck.

I was thinking of making a rounded over molding to put on the rear of the table so there wouldn't be a sharp edge to catch. I also thought I could try routing the hose sideways as it come off the fence instead of straight back.

What do other folks do to prevent this?

Thanks!
    Michael

My DC gates are mostly at 4' above the floor, and hose from them drops to the tools. Only time I have problems with hoses hanging up are with track saw and small sanders, which will be addressed soon. Gotta find the final resting place for them first.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I can't think of the right name for it, but those expandable mesh coverings would likely work well for that. I put some on my Festool extra long hose (actually, 2 hoses and the power cord put together), and outside of the wire connection in the middle, it glides along pretty well.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

if you have the 4x2-1/2" fitting connected to the back of the table the 2.5 will pull on the table. I put mine a foot above the table so the 4" and 2.5 drop to the router. They each have a bit of slack so I can pull it off the wall to clear the equipment next to it. Originally I had it connected at the bottom

I have one where I put a bungee from the ceiling, to provide support on the hose.

Sounds like the solution for most is having the hose dropping from above - thanks!

You can also use a more rigid 2.5" hose up to the fence...one that is more self-supporting. But ideally, from above solves the issue completely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi - I ended up taking a piece of dowel (about an inch diam), cutting it in half lengthwise and tacking it to the back of my table, forming a rounded rear edge. Hose now slides easily with no hang up. Don't know why that never occurred to me in the past.

That's a creative solution!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...