Thread: Bryan Nash Gill

Blog Entries

Bryan Nash Gill

My Daughter had a pretty good idea that she was smarter than me when she turned 7. She was right. I received this postcard from her and looked at it for several days before I realized I was looking at wood.
    Woodcuts — Bryan Nash Gill
    Photo on 10-30-23 at 9.48 PM.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Looks like an enlarged photo of a cell of some sort. Cool!

Blog Entries
    I am having to take down the Oak tree we planted in the front yard before our youngest was born. We are all very sad about it. I will make something out of the wood. I am thinking about trying to do a Mr.Gill inspired print too.

IMG_1655.jpg IMG_1656.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-11-2023 at 9:05 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    I got the yard tree down and loaded. The growth rings are rather boring. Here is my iron tripod gantry and cable puller, used for loading logs and pulling out rotten posts,

IMG_1711.jpg IMG_1712.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

It would be interesting to try this by taking a "cookie" from a log, sand blasting the end grain to define the pattern and then using a press to, um...press...the image with ink onto quality paper. No firewood would be safe from becoming art.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I saw Bryan’s work for the 1st time about 10 yrs ago and was fascinated. Transfixed and amazed. Since then I have tried my hand at it hundreds of times in varying species of wood - mostly Oak, Ash, and Maple.

I will link to a page on my website that shows some photos of some prints I have done.

https://www.stillwaterwoodworks.com/wood-prints

I have had 3 of them professionally scanned and, from time to time, do sell high quality digital “prints” in various sizes other than original size.

Feel free to reach out to me if you want before/after you try you hand at it. It’s not terribly complicated; the hardest part for me has been keeping the printed papers clean, smudge-free and non creased while drying after printing.

You may have it / have seen it but Bryan’s book “Woodcut” is worth picking up if you are a fan. It gives a few tiny glimpses into the processes. Not much though as it’s more of a coffee table / portfolio type book. Regrettably, he passed away in 2013.

Here is a recent Ash print I did a limited run on a few months back. The round came from my firewood pile, as most of them have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    Phillip, Those prints are excellent. I hope to give that a try. I don't know if the yard Oak will yield any art. I will cut up some of the crotch wood and hope for something interesting. Google led me to read about the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. That looks like it would be a fun place to visit.

https://www.wildflower.org/magazine/...ding-the-rings

IMG_1716.jpg Neanderthal log handling = loader envy.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-22-2023 at 4:49 AM. Reason: Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center link
    Best Regards, Maurice