Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dust deputy 2.5 vs. Dust deputy low profile

dust deputy 2.5 vs. Dust deputy low profile

Hello,
    I'm in the market for a dust collection cyclone fit into my shop vacuum (2.5 inch) with fine dust bags and HEPA filter on the Vacuum.

For me, the most important feature by far is CFM and suction pressure. I don't care about separation efficiency. I would consider the dust deputy 2 if the airflow was far superior to the low profile which is better on space.

Oneida has no published CFM values for either vacuumThat I can find or comparisons. On the YouTube's, there are several people who have tested, but never something comparing these two. does anybody have experience between the two

finally is there a better choice than the deputy 2.5 or low profile.

thoughts welcome
    thanks

The reason you won’t see published CFM numbers is because it’s a function of the DC not the cyclone. I only have experience with the standard version and it works great. The low profile is pretty new I think. Just make sure all connections are sealed and you should be good. If I were in the market, I'd probably look at their new "Dust Deputy 2.5 Deluxe All-Clear Cyclone Separator Kit"
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 10-30-2023 at 8:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    The reason you won’t see published CFM numbers is because it’s a function of the DC not the cyclone. I only have experience with the standard version and it works great. The low profile is pretty new I think. Just make sure all connections are sealed and you should be good. If I were in the market, I'd probably look at their new "Dust Deputy 2.5 Deluxe All-Clear Cyclone Separator Kit"
    It is true what you're saying about each system being different. Even if the dust collector was different than mine, you can still tell a story, and it will be easier to make a more informed decision. I am considering this but the DIY version. yes the low profile is new.
    Last edited by Cory filder; 10-30-2023 at 8:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory filder View Post
    It is true what you're saying about each system being different. Even if the dust collector was different than mine, you can still tell a story, and it will be easier to make a more informed decision. I am considering this but the DIY version. yes the low profile is new.
    They would have to give the number based on % then, not CFM because again it would vary. That might generate more questions so they probably just avoided it. Give them a call, maybe they can provide more insight.

They would have to give the number based on % then, not CFM because again it would vary. That might generate more questions so they probably just avoided it. Give them a call, maybe they can provide more insight.
    I did give them a call today and it would not provide this information

It's my opinion that those two items would have just about the same CFM capability since they have the same inlet and outlet sizes. However, I think the 2.5 will have better dust separation and prevent more dust from being sent into the shopvac (which is the whole idea of adding a cyclone per-separator).

If you are after purely CFM, then just avoid adding the cyclone at all because it will cause a slight drop in CFM/suction.

I recently purchased the low profile in June to replace the older version, which by the way, worked great. I never had to empty the vacuum or clean the filter. I wanted the lower profile that the new one offered. While the suction is good, it does a poor job keeping all the fine dust in the bin like the old one. I noticed yesterday that the suction was down. I took the top off the vacuum and my HEPA filter was clogged and there was about an inch of dust/debris in the bottom. The low profile in my opinion gets a D-.

That's about what I figured too Mike. I was surprised Oneida offered that version as there is no way the separation would be better. It sounds like it suffers from similar versions from Rockler, Jet and other configurations. Even if you care more about CFM, when the filter gets caked with debris, you're going to lose CFM and have more dust problems. My recommendation still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Congiusti View Post
    I recently purchased the low profile in June to replace the older version, which by the way, worked great. I never had to empty the vacuum or clean the filter. I wanted the lower profile that the new one offered. While the suction is good, it does a poor job keeping all the fine dust in the bin like the old one. I noticed yesterday that the suction was down. I took the top off the vacuum and my HEPA filter was clogged and there was about an inch of dust/debris in the bottom. The low profile in my opinion gets a D-.
    Was this the first time you checked it? ( has this happened before)? I wonder if this issue would still happen if dust bags were used in addition to the HEPA filter, Then again it should have filtered better.

That's about what I figured too Mike. I was surprised Oneida offered that version as there is no way the separation would be better. It sounds like it suffers from similar versions from Rockler, Jet and other configurations. Even if you care more about CFM, when the filter gets caked with debris, you're going to lose CFM and have more dust problems. My recommendation still stands.
    I didn't realize that although profiles had this issue. are there any that are decent?

I didn't realize that although profiles had this issue. are there any that are decent?
    I don't think any "low profile" version of a cyclone is going to perform well for separating dust. The idea of a cyclone is to push the dust around and force it to the walls of the cyclone as it gradually falls down and through the bottom of the cyclone itself (and bypasses the output to the vacuum). This is an effective dust separator. The "low profile" models will just suck dust into this container, but much of the dust will be directly sucked out through the outlet just after it is dropped into this container which is generally right next to the "inlet". There is no true "cyclone" in the low profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    I don't think any "low profile" version of a cyclone is going to perform well for separating dust. The idea of a cyclone is to push the dust around and force it to the walls of the cyclone as it gradually falls down and through the bottom of the cyclone itself (and bypasses the output to the vacuum). This is an effective dust separator. The "low profile" models will just suck dust into this container, but much of the dust will be directly sucked out through the outlet just after it is dropped into this container which is generally right next to the "inlet". There is no true "cyclone" in the low profile.
    This is unfortunate. If it does a poor job in comparison to a true cyclone, does anybody know % efficiency. I.e. 90% would be 90% of dust in bucket. this would be helpful in the buying decision.

This is unfortunate. If it does a poor job in comparison to a true cyclone, does anybody know % efficiency. I.e. 90% would be 90% of dust in bucket. this would be helpful in the buying decision.
    Hmm, hard to say exactly, but I have the 4" version on my Rockler 1250. I've emptied the drum more than a dozen times in 3 years but the filter bag has a light dusting around the perimeter and maybe 1/2" thick gathering at the bottom. The filter is the same, just a light coating of dust. I'd estimate the cyclone gets in the high 90s of dust. I would think the clear "Dust Deputy 2.5 Deluxe All-Clear Cyclone Separator Kit" that they have is quite similar in performance.

A bit off topic, but I also have the Festool cyclone and in the 3 years I've owned that the bag/filter are in similar condition...basically brand new and little to no dust. It is, as a unit, more low-profile and still very effective (not counting the extractor of course). I will say you lose a bit more suction but 90% of the time I use the 36mm hose and it's barely noticeable. For sanding/domino/router work the 26mm hose and suction is still extremely good.

I just started woodworking now that the weather is cooler. Too hot in my garage during the summer. I was sanding about 6 boards and then noticed the suction was down. I took the vacuum apart and was surprised to see the filter so clogged. It never did that on my older one. The only time I had to empty it was when I forgot to empty the bucket. I need to write a review on Oneida.

A bit off topic, but I also have the Festool cyclone and in the 3 years I've owned that the bag/filter are in similar condition...basically brand new and little to no dust. It is, as a unit, more low-profile and still very effective (not counting the extractor of course). I will say you lose a bit more suction but 90% of the time I use the 36mm hose and it's barely noticeable. For sanding/domino/router work the 26mm hose and suction is still extremely good.
    I would say this is all due to the lower CFM on the Festool. With the 36mm hose (1-1/2"), the Festool extractor is only going to pull about 100-130 CFM. This is likely low enough for the pre-separator to allow the dust to fall down. Also, the Festool vacum bag acts as another filter layer before the "HEPA filter" on the Festool.

On a shopvac, you will be anywhere from 160-200 CFM with a 2-1/2" hose. I think this is enough air velocity to pull more debris through the low profile cyclone and into the main vacuum unit/filter.