Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water filter

I have been using one of these for years...works well.. has a carbon and a creamic filter https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/r...=aw.ds#store=6

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post

I have the salt for the softener delivered and it has gone up in price significantly.
    Least expensive I've found for this is Costco...just a little more than half the price as the local place I had been buying from. The Morton salt from Costco seems to last longer, too. That said, I'm considering moving away from the salt based softener to the Neuvo citrus based system. The salt is harming our houseplants big-time and the citrus based system seems to be better about counteracting the effects of minerals.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Least expensive I've found for this is Costco...just a little more than half the price as the local place I had been buying from. The Morton salt from Costco seems to last longer, too. That said, I'm considering moving away from the salt based softener to the Neuvo citrus based system. The salt is harming our houseplants big-time and the citrus based system seems to be better about counteracting the effects of minerals.

at approximately 6 months into the Neuvo large system. No dead or dying house plants, cut flowers, roses mostly, are lasting as long or longer. City water that has a mineral buildup, white deposits everywhere, that ruin water heaters that don't get flushed out. No longer see the white deposits or what few are seen are broken into very small particles. Went to this system after SWMBO bought 2 black sinks and fixtures for bathroom remodel. Basement shower doesn't appear to have the white buildup on shower curtain and chrome escutcheon plate. Bought from Home Depot with 3 three filters to get 12 months same as cash, paid off in 4 months. Have not changed filter yet, water tastes good to me, don't have the minerals floating around in the bottom the glasses left sitting for over a day. Refrigerator filter seems to be filtering water for drinking and ice cubes better.
    Ron

I was hoping to hear from you, Ron, as I remembered you got the Neuvo system. 'Glad things are positive so far. I wanted to get to it this past month, but life intervened...I'm shooting for early next year at this point, after my upcoming right wrist surgery is healed and I'm done PT for that. HD remains having the best price for sure...direct with discounts is still quite a bit more expensive.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    FWIW, Where I am in Canada they sell so-called spring water or steam-distilled water. Steam distilled is about as pure as you can get and people do drink it for "health reasons", real or imagined, and the price in our grocery store is now about $1.50 Cdn per 4 liters just over 1 US gallon. Interestingly, it is sold in the general foodstuffs area and is also sold in the baby care area for the same price - found this out when I went to get some distilled for my CPAP machine and clerk said it was in the baby area for same price but a different label. This would work out to about $1.00 US per gallon.

We have the same arrangement at Walmart with the relabelled baby water, which is the same price as spring/drinking water. I bought 15 gallons this morning. I won't go into why we go through so much.

The Brita might be a solution worth trying, as well as some of the undercounter filters with the flex supply lines. maybe they could be mounted on a pullout slide to make servicing easier.

.....I do have some doubts about the advertised performance and purity claims though.
    Kindness Every Day......All Day

Lawrence, I've used pitcher-based Brita in the past for drinking water and for making tea back when it was either "city" water which had a bad taste or prior to adding better filtration at our previous property on the well. The system works well, is not expensive and fills a need. I do not believe Brita and similar can take the place of serious filtering where the water supply needs significant help to either be safe or be palatable in taste. There are just some places that need more help which means either buying drinking water or installing a really good filtering system that's up to the task, either whole house or at the tap.
    --

I use a Kinetico K5 reverse osmosis system for clean water at my house. It has a somewhat higher gallons per day than the cheap RO systems. One thing I like is it is officially supported to be remote mounted in my basement. Most of the cheap RO systems really need to be in the kitchen because they can't push the water very far. I read a lot about the cheap RO systems leaking after a few years. My Kinetico is nine years old and still chugging along. The membrane is supposed to be replaced at ten year intervals.

I have never seen a bad review about the Kinetco RO system as far as the system itself. All of the bad reviews are about the cost which was close to $1,800 installed in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post

.....I do have some doubts about the advertised performance and purity claims though.
    Well, the implication of seeing a bunch of numbers like that is that you have all that stuff in your tap water, when the likelihood is you don't. And note it's a one time test, so it doesn't show performance over a period of time. All that stuff that is removed has to go somewhere, so it's all about the maintenance.

Distilled water doesn't taste very good. And then it doesn't have all the minerals that other people pay extra to have in their bottled water, for health reasons.

l
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-31-2023 at 1:27 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    < insert spurious quote here >

The downfall of RO is that it lacks minerals and therefore is acidic after it comes out due to the waters need to attract something. I added a remineralizer to mine with a bypass so that I can balance how much minerals are in the water. Has been really good. The whole house system I have gets me there anyway but the RO is just added insurance.